OPI gel polish stained natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsidy

Reaction score
I did a client’s nails with opi gelocolor in Malaga Wine December 7th. She returned December 14th for her next mani and when we removed her gel polish her nails were stained pink. She wanted them covered for Christmas, but our plan was to take a break next time because she’s developing dry spots and two of her nails were feeling a little weak. So we covered them with the same thing, Malaga Wine. She came back today to have it removed and the old pink stains were there, but there was a lot of outgrowth from the stains. The second manicure in that color did not stain her nails.
Cnd’s cuticle away will often lift stains from the nail, but I had no luck with this. I also tried hair color stain remover with no luck. I told her to try some hydrogen peroxide at home. Does anyone have experience with this? I’m stumped. I don’t know why it happened or how to remove it.

I did a client’s nails with opi gelocolor in Malaga Wine December 7th. She returned December 14th for her next mani and when we removed her gel polish her nails were stained pink. She wanted them covered for Christmas, but our plan was to take a break next time because she’s developing dry spots and two of her nails were feeling a little weak. So we covered them with the same thing, Malaga Wine. She came back today to have it removed and the old pink stains were there, but there was a lot of outgrowth from the stains. The second manicure in that color did not stain her nails.
Cnd’s cuticle away will often lift stains from the nail, but I had no luck with this. I also tried hair color stain remover with no luck. I told her to try some hydrogen peroxide at home. Does anyone have experience with this? I’m stumped. I don’t know why it happened or how to remove it.

Highly pigmented colours can stain, especially if the nails are dry which you mentioned they are. You won't be able to remove it quickly, it would fade over a few days if she went bare nailed for a while but I'd suggest using a base colour first next time you use that particular colour. I always apply a coat of an opaque pale pink under red/black/burgundy/orange/etc.

Highly pigmented colours can stain, especially if the nails are dry which you mentioned they are. You won't be able to remove it quickly, it would fade over a few days if she went bare nailed for a while but I'd suggest using a base colour first next time you use that particular colour. I always apply a coat of an opaque pale pink under red/black/burgundy/orange/etc.

Okay. We did just a clean-up manicure and I sent her home with bare nails. I hope you're right about them fading. She was pretty bummed leaving with pick stains :/ she's got Solar Oil and Rescue Rxx at home she'll be using. Thanks for the base color suggestion! I'll give it a try if she's ever brave enough to use that color again!

Latest posts

Back