MUA's, can I pick your brains?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa32

Reaction score
Hi all :-D I'm currently studying Beauty therapy but my passion is make up. My question is - do you have some cheaper, high street brands in your kit along with more expensive products? Is this okay or do you prefer to use more high end product? Xx

It's more economical to use better quality make up in the long run, especially if you work on your mixing skills ;)

Thank you, what brands do you class as better quality? Xx

I use a mixture of illamasqua nars & MAC but I also have some Barry m eye shadows and a maybelline eyeliner. Use products that you believe in. However as a client I wouldn't want to pay much money for someone that only used high street brands. And not paying much money for makeup I wouldn't expect great things. Make sure you apply for professional discounts from as many brands as you can! Can save you 20/30% xx

Thanks for the replies, following on from that I'm off visiting either Birmingham or Bristol tomorrow, where they have big department stores (I live in the middle of nowhere) so what key items could I think about purchasing, I can't break the bank would like a few must have products in my kit :)

Maybelline fitme concealer is a handy alternative along with some sleek palettes, morphe and makeup revolution do some good foils etc which I don't mind using for editorial however for brides they want premium and I use only premium brands including georgio armani, Dior, Chanel, urban decay, nars, illamasqua, Mac and laura mercier and prep the skin with good quality skin care neals yard, Liz Earle, origins.

People pay for premium products that they don't neccessrily go out and buy on and every day basis.

Seek palettes are amazing x

It's much cheaper once you get your discounts. Although im sorry to say there is no cheap way to build a good kit. I would focus on getting key items from recognised brands and have a smaller kit of high quality stuff rather than a big kit of cheap stuff.

Sorry to hijack the post.....do you just apply for most discounts online? Is your certificate usually enough? :)

The requirements vary depending on the company. For most of the ones I got, I had to have a website, insurance, a certificate and a business card. Some of them have more requirements, some less. Illamasqua and Face Atelier are free and online (I would highly recommend Face Atelier - their product range is a bit limited, you couldn't buy a full kit from them, but their discount is 40% and the quality of their products is amazing, particularly their foundation) - Nars is free but you have to send off the forms, you can photograph them and email them though (that worked fine for me). Bobbi Brown and Mac (both owned by Estee Lauder so requirements are similar) had the most requirements and they charge you for the discount card which is annoying, but for some reason some people seem to be impressed by 'I am a Mac Pro card holder' so I paid up! I also plan to buy the Bobbi Brown concealer and lip colour palettes just because I think they will be good for brides.

All these brands have a section on their websites about their 'Pro' programmes which set out what you need to do to get the discounts.

Thanks for the replies, following on from that I'm off visiting either Birmingham or Bristol tomorrow, where they have big department stores (I live in the middle of nowhere) so what key items could I think about purchasing, I can't break the bank would like a few must have products in my kit :)

Urban Decay Eye Primer, a little goes a long way!

That
The requirements vary depending on the company. For most of the ones I got, I had to have a website, insurance, a certificate and a business card. Some of them have more requirements, some less. Illamasqua and Face Atelier are free and online (I would highly recommend Face Atelier - their product range is a bit limited, you couldn't buy a full kit from them, but their discount is 40% and the quality of their products is amazing, particularly their foundation) - Nars is free but you have to send off the forms, you can photograph them and email them though (that worked fine for me). Bobbi Brown and Mac (both owned by Estee Lauder so requirements are similar) had the most requirements and they charge you for the discount card which is annoying, but for some reason some people seem to be impressed by 'I am a Mac Pro card holder' so I paid up! I also plan to buy the Bobbi Brown concealer and lip colour palettes just because I think they will be good for brides.

All these brands have a section on their websites about their 'Pro' programmes which set out what you need to do to get the discounts.
That's all great info! Thank you! Oh I'm looking at getting those palettes too! Look amazing! :D

I have a mix of high end and then we'll recommend brands. So I have mac, Bobbi, Kevin aucqin, stilla, amazing cosmetics, and have some really fab revolution and MUA products. It's a total mix of what works for example I used to love paint pots from mac but maybeline tattoo pots are just as good as is their gel liner. The mac and Bobbi dry up quickly! X

My kit I would say is 75% pro/ high end and 25% drug store. It started off more drug store but as I've got busier I've reinvested into better brands. Things like the above poster said like paint pots, gel eyeliner and mascara I just use Maybelline as you go through so much and also they dry up.

Hope you enjoyed your shopping trip!! Let us know what you got! X

If you suffer with gel products drying out you can drop a tiny drop of Inglot Duraline into the container and mix it in to revive them. It also makes the product waterproof.

Latest posts

Back