Much needed salon advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrysoda

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

An ex hairdressing salon has come available in the small village I live in and I have been given first refusal. The village sits between three good size towns and the shop is on a busy main road (has its own parking at the front of it) and is directly opposite a large housing estate so not a bad location. The shop has a main small shop floor and beauty room above. I can get the shop for £65 a week which again i think is a reasonable rent. How's it sounding so far fellow geeks?
Here's the scary bit for me...I'm a nail tech but have been out of the business for 4 years. My worry is that I have no clientele and would be taking the salon on in Jan which as we know is usually a quiet month followed by Feb which can also be quiet. I don't have to worry about paying household bills as my partner has agreed to pay them so I would just need to worry about paying the salon bills and building up clients and repeat business. I know I won't be able to draw a wage for a long time and again that's ok.

Do you think it is a good or bad idea to take this salon on in jan with no clientele. I already have a fully automated spray tan booth I bought years ago that I will put in there and I would like to see if I could rent the room upstairs to a beautician to help pay the bills.
I'm completely in two minds about this....please help!
I forgot to mention that my current job ends in 3 weeks and I have nothing lined up to replace it.

Sarah. x

Omg amazing opportunity :eek: it's a no brainier, you could get a self employed Hairstylist in they would cover the rent too.

This sounds like a great opportunity for you and made even better by the fact you dont have a secure job anyway, your partner is supportive and is willing to take on the house bills so why not??

It sounds like theres a lot of opportunity to gain business with it being in a good location so I am sure with good advertisement/offers you would gain clientele steadily. Its good though that you understand you will be starting in the slow months of the year and your not under any illusion your going to make an income any time soon. And you will be renting out the top room to someone so will be taking in rent from them.

I say go for it, you have the support, dont have any commitments and its sounds a good location. xx

Thank you ladies for the replies :biggrin:

I went to see the owner today and he said he has a friend with a backwash that he will give a few crates of beer to for it and put it in the salon for free!!! He also owns a large co-op style shop and a printers so said he will do all my business cards and leaflets dirt cheap and get his staff in the shop to put my price list inside the local newspaper to help me with the advertising. He wants a month up front and wont charge me till Jan so I can spend the last few weeks of dec decorating and he said he will only charge me £40 a week in Jan to help me out. He also knows a sign man that will do a new sign on the shop for £150!! I really don't think I can say no now :biggrin: I have just put a shout out on facebook looking for a hairdresser to rent a chair to see if anyone would be interested. Wish me luck ladies and gents xxxx

Wow £40 a week that's amazing! I so would be biting his arm off for it! Fab opportunity! Best of luck xx

I'm so very jealous!! That is just what I need.
Go for it hun. It sounds amazing x

i think its a sign!!!
it would be crazy to say no! and you will never know unless you try. i think you should go for it. let us see pics when you decorate! xxx

Thank you so much for the support!! I will take lots of piccies :) Ireally hope someone replies to my wanted add on facebook. Need to look for salon furniture now xx

Latest posts

Back