Music Insurance Is it True you need Both?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Hi hope everyones ok...
i'm looking into the music insurance now- now i know that even if you play soft,relaxing music without lyrics you have to pay a music insurance and i have actually enquired about it. However when i phoned them up they said that it's not a case of having one insurance you will need both PPL and PRS there reason for this was one is to credit the artist for their music as your playing it in your business and the other is for the producers such as; Simon Cowell etc...
One of think it around £130 and the other one was Aprrox £90 something but i just wondered whether these two companies are working in connextion with each other to get customers to pay more money or whether its true and they are both Complusory. As i know my previous employer only had the PRS one on the walls of the salon.
I know for sure that if you really do new both of them to ensure your protected then ofcourse i will as it isn't worth the penalty.
It just seemd their are more costs cropping up when setting up a new salon lol but at least i know and my advice for anyone would be to ensure you have spare money ontop of what you estimated it would cost for you to set up to make up for any allowances that may occur.
Any help of this matter of whether BOTH PPL and PRS are needed would be much apreciated thankyou

Kind Regards
Laylax

thankyou for that thread dont know ow i missed it in the search im still confused though as to why everyone is getting different prices mine was quite high too it made intresting read though

LOL yeahhh i was told i had to have 2.. one for recording artists and one for.. someone else.. i lost my rag on the phone and said" so i need to give Elton john even MORE money if he happens to come on the radio"??? the answer was YESSS... sooo my question si.. if i got a tv in the salon and paid for me TV license.. could i play MTV all day??? much cheaper..

LOL yeahhh i was told i had to have 2.. one for recording artists and one for.. someone else.. i lost my rag on the phone and said" so i need to give Elton john even MORE money if he happens to come on the radio"??? the answer was YESSS... sooo my question si.. if i got a tv in the salon and paid for me TV license.. could i play MTV all day??? much cheaper..
PMSL i love that answer and i love your remedy of getting a TV and playing mtv all day, out of interest if you did this would you get away with just the TV licence or was there an extra charge ????

lol that is a very clever answer i wonder what they said in reponse to that they try and get money out of you everyway that they can theres no help for small business and hard working indivual its just ridicolous paying for the Cd's should counteract for that.

PMSL i love that answer and i love your remedy of getting a TV and playing mtv all day, out of interest if you did this would you get away with just the TV licence or was there an extra charge ????
i have no idea.. interesting thou... i may just find out... how cool would a flat screen be in the salon??? we could watch JEREMY KYLE!!!

I'd just play the music and if anyone asked would switch it off and make comments about what a fab singer I am.
You may have noticed that this subject gets my back up somewhat:)

Latest posts

Back