my 14 year old wants to be holistic therapist is he at disadvantage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmonyholistic

Reaction score
hi my son is saying he wants to be a holistic therapist. he has grown up around it and wont have a bath without oils. i know he genuinly wants to do this and that he is not just copying me. i too am a holistic therapist doing level 2 beauty in sept.
it really does suit his personality as he is an incredibly mature young man and has more maturity than your average 18 year old boy. he has a wide selection of chrystals is facinated by angels and he loves learning about the oils.
everything about him screams holistic therapist. but what worries me is that because he is a boy then it may put him at a disadvantage in being able to get a place in college as i know it is quite unusual for a boy that young to be interested holistics. i believe it is what he really wants and i dont want him to be disapointed.
he also knows that in the town where i live he can also go to university to do a degree in alternative medicine. we are lucky in that way. he wants to learn acupuncture.
obviously i am thrilled about this. but i just dont want him upset. i know that there is a lot of men who are holistic therapists but they are usually much older when they develope an interest.
can anyone also advise me on what subjects he needs to think about doing to help increase his chances. he has his options coming up very soon.

Your son is very lucky that he has found what he wants to do in life and that it is a hobby as well. To be passionate about something that is also your job makes life so much easier.

It may be useful to have a look at degree courses to see what their entry requirements are. Even if he doesn't eventually go to uni, at least he would have the option.

I think more and more boys are going into colleges and doing courses in holistics and beauty every year i dont think it is a disadvantage at all. It would be discrimination to not give him a space purely because he is male. His is obveously passionate about it and is not a phase if he enjoys it why should he not be given a place. I know when i was at college alot of girls took the beauty course because it seemed like an easy option and werent really interested in it just liked the idea of pampering on a daily basis. People like this should not be given a place and people like your son should be. It will come across in his interview that it is what he wants to do. If he isnt given a place i would be asking why not. xx

he is very passionate about it. has always had a thing about things like that. in fact we had a very interesting conversation last night. he really doesnt get the beauty therapy bit. which i can understand. he was saying that he thinks natural beauty is much better. nice that he thinks that way. just like he prefers natural remedies i guess lol.
i honestly believe that he would do well at it. it fits in with all his other interests too. he wont leave the house without his chrystal around his neck he is unbelievably spiritual, very kind hearted and gentle natured and loves helping others. he has an emotional intelligence that is outstanding and even his carrees adviser came up with a match for holistics too.
in a way it would be nice maybe one day he would be able to work for me or with me. who knows maybe it will be me that ends up working for him. gulp. lol
i guess he is lucky that he has a mum who gets it and loves holistics herself. at least i would be in a position to help him when ever he needed me too.

Colleges will be well-versed in not being gender biased and I would say 100% it will not be a problem. Good for him........I bet he'll go on to develop his own brand and make a million - not because he's male but because he has real passion. (By the way, I bet you have influenced him -but in the best way, by your own passion)

I really do hope it isn't a disadvantage, I think that would be a crying shame.
The carers advisor coming up with the same thing is really good, because that should be the person who will help him get started.
Good advise about looking at the uni entry requirments. As already said, even if he doesn't want to go to uni straight away, if he's got the right GCSE's. etc then even if it's 10 years down the road he'll still have the option.
I think he'll fit right in, it's one of those subjects where dedication is what counts not gender. Thankfully:hug:

well if i have influenced him it hasnt been deliberate. although i have to admit i am pleased he is interested just goes to show how much he is like me eh. it really wouldnt matter to me what he wanted to do just as long as he is happy.
i think this would make him happy though cos it does suit his personality. there is a course for holistics full time in the college where i will be doing beauty. also i trained there for holistics myself. that qualification can be used as an entry requirement for the degree in my local town so he is lucky that everything he needs is local.
we are at the moment looking into him joining saint johns ambulance i guess that would help too. our local branch has been out of action for a little while. would need to take him into chester if need be. as that would be closest to me.
the work experience would be a great idea dandelion i will mention that too him. it would also possibly help to show how keen he is to do this. it would also show that he is serious about it

Last edited:
One more thought; will he be doing work experience this year? That will give him a really good chance to find out whether this is where his heart lies; maybe you could start to put out feelers now to local salons; often schools are quite happy for learners to be pro-active in finding their placements.

what WILL be an advantage is his age when he first starts out. I wouldn't seek out a young holistic therapist for my treatments, I would prefer someone who has life experience behind them first. its not his gender but it would be his tender age that would put me off to be honest.

Best thing is for you and him to go into business together, then you can help each other out.

I know years ago they had an entry age for the holistic therapy courses, am sure it was 25 before you could enrol.

If he goes on to do acupuncture alongside his other holistics like crystal therapy then good on him. I believe its a 4 year course.

I can't see the colleges having a problem with taking him on if the entry age has been lifted that is.

I did a course at a local college recently and was surprised to see that some of the girls attending were infact on the degree course, they only looked and acted about 17.

im pretty sure that the entry age in our local is 16 but dont quote me on that. i can see your point though. i do know that if i was looking for a holistic therapist to do treatments on me i would actually prefer a male. just my personal preference. i would be quite happy to work with him though because he is just so easy going. we have a very good relationship and work well together.
when i did my aromatherapy ive remembered there was a 16 year old girl on the same course she did really well and was one of best there. it is the same college that my son would be going too.
so i think he would be in with a chance with regards to his age.

im pretty sure that the entry age in our local is 16 but dont quote me on that. i can see your point though. i do know that if i was looking for a holistic therapist to do treatments on me i would actually prefer a male. just my personal preference. i would be quite happy to work with him though because he is just so easy going. we have a very good relationship and work well together.
when i did my aromatherapy ive remembered there was a 16 year old girl on the same course she did really well and was one of best there. it is the same college that my son would be going too.
so i think he would be in with a chance with regards to his age.
well thats really good then. good luck to him.
you'll have to get him to join geek.

I did a holistic course at 16 so i think it depends on the person. There are boys on my level3 beauty courses at the moment and no clients ever refused treatment from them so i cant see why there would be a disadvantage, i agree with the age thing just from personal experience,

What a lovely thread!

I find it absolutely fantastic and heart warming that he has set his heart on something and feels so passionate and enthusiastic about it!

I think he will be fine getting a place at college, from what youve said he just needs to be himself and they'll want him like a shot!

He sounds like an amazing guy! Bloody well go for it lad!

Matt. x

Latest posts

Back