My first ever full set

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie1808

Reaction score
This is my first ever full set.

I used tips and PopIts. Took me four hours, had to re-do four nails due to bubbles.

The tips are Star nails well-less. The client purchased them from Sally's (she's a hairdresser) as I had ran out of white tips while practising. :) I was surprised how arched the smile line is on these tips, but I think they turned out pretty good for my first ever full set.

Katie

Be gentle with me! ;)

For your first attempt be very pleased and give yourself a pat on the back...... In terms of where they could be improved, they are too long and the white tips look really unnatural. By using white l+p and making the length shorter you would have a much more visually pleasing end result.

Less white looks more balanced and less 'fake' but well done on the overall shape. Your zone 3 looks nice and thin which is really good.

I hope this helps, and I hope I've been gentle enough :hug:!

I agree with what Vetty has said.

White tips normally look very "fake" and a well balanced P&W would have looked better.

The really arched well-less tips are only really suited in my opinion on someone who has the nail beds to carry them off, which this client unfortunately doesn't have.

Other things I've noticed are:

* The tips on the middle and pointy finger on her right hand seem too big for her nail. They appear to be quite broad on the photo.

* On her left hand, the "ears" of the tips on the middle and pointy finger look like they are sticking up and not sitting flush to the nail. It's the sort of thing as a "reformed" nail biter that I just wan to go pick !!

Other than that, I think you've done well for a first set :hug:

Try to practice your P&W application without using white tips. You'll see a huge improvement on the visual aspect of your nails.

Also try to get the balance of your P&W right. The rule of thumb is normally 1/3 white and 2/3 pink.

M.

Thank you.

I felt unsure of the tips myself, I wanted to use the edge competition well-less which I think have a much more natural smileline.

I agree with Vetty, the deep edges of the smileline on these tips remind me of the very "fake" american look.

I will have to be brave next time and perhaps try sculpting. It always seems to work so well on the nail trainer and then I move onto a person and it all goes horrbily wrong. ha ha.

I love the shine from the PopIts and no buffing.. Yay!

My mother-in-law is my next victim, erm I mean Client hee hee.. She will want something much more natural looking so need to work on that next.

Thank you for being gentle.

Katie

Thank you for your comments Marlise.

Yes I can see what u mean about those tips being to broad. :o

I have trouble with the P&W balance as I have naturallly very long nails so I am more used to a 1/3 pink and 2/3 white ratio. (my nails are crazy long)
Need to re-train my eye to see the 1/3 white and 2/3 pink balance.

I shall work on all those points, thank you.

i think these look good for your first ever set and well done for being brave enough to post them.
i agree about the white tips.i have used these tips on clients which i have elongated there nail beds using an opaque powder.i will take photos next time so you will be able to see.
i used to use white tips on myself as i have quite long nail beds so i could carry them off.
the nails would 100 times better if you took down the length to make them have less white and more pink as this is what a balanced nail should have.
im sure your client was pleased with them as i bet they look better than they did before.
i look forward to seeing your next set and how you've improved.
thanks for sharing.xx

Thank you for your kind words Tracy Louise.

The client was over the moon with them, she text me this morning to say she loves them. I was just worried she would have woke up this morning with 9 nails missing. hee hee..

I shall keep an eye on getting the nails balanced next time. When she comes back for an in-fill I shall re-balance them too.

Yes, the trouble was that I had to put the top of the smileline low down so her natural smileline didn't show and that made the sides go down too far, as you say Tracy Louise I could have done with some opaque powder, or different tips.

It would be really interesting to see a picture of these tips used correctly.. :o

I have learnt so much doing this first set and the advice from everyone has really helped, looking forward to getting home tonight to the nail trainer.

im glad you have found this site so helpful so quickly.i love this site as i have also learned so much.i will try and do one of these nails so you can see what i mean.
you really seem to be taking everything on board that everyone has said so im sure you will have improved alot by te time you do your next set.xx

heres the first picture for you as you can see there is a gap but this will be filled in so you wont see it.x

heres the second picture for you
picture.php
as you can see the gap has been filled in and you cant see it at all which has enabled me to elongate the nail bed. i hope you understand what i meant now and i hope it helps.xx
p.s you can see the pictures bigger in my album.x

just so you know,the tip i used is also a star nails one its the same as the ones you used.x

Hi katie,
you really tried :) and the good thing is that you identified the areas that were not satisfactory.Well done, perhaps next time you could consider mixing the white tips with the popits. Hope this was helpful and friendly here's sending you a big hug :hug::hug:

Thank you so much Tracy Louise, that looks fab...

Can I ask the brand of the Opaque Pink you used, or is it a custom blend?

Perhaps when I do the rebalance as the tips will have grown up a bit, if I fill in the pink with opaque to hide her own smileline and elongate her own nailbed instead, it will balance the nails better. Perhaps cut the length down a bit too for better balance.

Thank you very much ladies for all your help, advice and encouragement.

I shall post my re-balance pic.

Good on ya Katie !

Like TL said, no one likes to hear their work has faults and some people can get quite defensive, but you have been great with all the feedback we've given you.

It's not easy for me to tell someone else "look, this this and this can be improved" but you know what, I'd rather say what I see so that you can learn and improve than me saying "Oh yeah, everythings great, these are the best nails I've ever seen" and you not learning anything.

I think your attitude is great and I'm sure you'll improve no end :hug:

M.

Thank you so much Tracy Louise, that looks fab...

Can I ask the brand of the Opaque Pink you used, or is it a custom blend?

Perhaps when I do the rebalance as the tips will have grown up a bit, if I fill in the pink with opaque to hide her own smileline and elongate her own nailbed instead, it will balance the nails better. Perhaps cut the length down a bit too for better balance.

Thank you very much ladies for all your help, advice and encouragement.

I shall post my re-balance pic.
i used nsi pink masque powder you can use this as your base mix for making other custom blends but im not really any good at that yet so i just used it neat.
i hope it helps you.x

Thank you Tracy Louise. Your pic looked fab so I shall give that a go.

Thank you. :)

Latest posts

Back