My hair is a bad example-conditioning help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie303

Reaction score
Hi all,
I feel embarrassed to admit this as a professional but I am struggling with the condition of my hair and feel embarrassed of this when advising clients how to look after theirs!
I have foil highlights (bleach), and must admit I am a bit too addicted to my GHDs but my hair has been in good condition until recently when it has become dry and brittle.
I use TIGI Bedhead resurrection shampoo and conditioner and leave the conditioner on as long as I can. I had previously found this a miracle worker, much better than the Wella products, but at the moment it can't seem to save me. I also use a heat protection serum whenever I straighten.
Any tips or miracle products you can recommend?? I am laying off the straighteners as much as I can but really need to try and strengthen hair.
I feel under pressure to look good in the salon and feel my locks are failing me :cry:
Nikki

Kerastase range you need. Bain de force shampoo and a masque aswell xx

I'm exactly the same. I actually explain to my clients why my hair is constantly tide up.
I had it cut a few weeks ago and now can't wear it down with out extensions clipped in because it looks awful but I needed of all cut.
I now was with Togo elastic at s/p and con. Maroccan oil twice a day and no straightening unless I'm going somewhere nice.
I have only straightened it twice since the middle of may and its starting to feel a lot better.
Lead by example and explain to your clients what happens if you don't look after your hair.

Use curl enhancing shampoos and conditioners. (For the moisture benefits, not the curl enhancement.) if you can get away from ironing, great! Maybe get a co worker to give you a proper blowout every few days, instead of doing it yourself daily.

Leaving the conditioner on for ages will actually so more damage than good due to the alcohol content, swap to Joico KPak range & only leave your conditioner on for a couple of minutes, best thing I ever did, hth x

Try Moroccan oil or (osmo berber oil as a cheaper alternative)

Argan miracle mask is amazing! Xx

Happened to my sister too! She went brunette just a semi laid off the straightner too. I recommened not blow dryer as often and try washing your hair less since its so dry. I recommen redken extreme shampoo+conditioner also anti snap or cat.let us know how the condition gets and what u used

Happened to my sister too! She went brunette just a semi laid off the straightner too. I recommened not blow dryer as often and try washing your hair less since its so dry. I recommen redken extreme shampoo+conditioner also anti snap or cat.let us know how the condition gets and what u used

Haha I've just given my sister the exact same advise! X

Kerastè products worked a treat on my damaged hair! Expensive but really worth it! Also try the Philip Kingsley elasticizer an amazing product!! Works wonders! X

Not sure of the shampoo your using, does it have a high protein content as it sounds like your hair is over dosed on that you need to clarify then deep moisture treatment then loads of morrocanoil:)

My hair is in really bad condition at the min it's falling out really bad from after have my little on its really doing my head in :( when people ask me what I do out of work I feel like a rite idiot. Xx

I'm not a hair pro but when my hair was like this I had a loreal fibreceutic treatment which when used with the aftercare masque really helped and lasted about 10 washes.

Redken's Extreme range. When i first went white blonde my hair was so fragile. I use extreme shampoo, followed by extreme cat treatment, and then extreme strength builder plus. Now that my hair is strong i use all soft heavy cream and then every now and then use a bit of extreme strength builder x

Thanks for all your replies :biggrin: I don't blow dry at all, I let it dry naturally and then straighten with thermal protector. I have been wondering if I've overloaded it with protein, as I tried the Wella repair emulsion and this seemed to actually make it worse. I also had a friend from college cut my hair this time around, and it's the first time I've had my own hair razored. I wondered if maybe the razor was a bit blunt or something as I've heard that this can cause damage? I haven't had this much damage for years so it must be something different i'm doing...

Thanks for all your replies :biggrin: I don't blow dry at all, I let it dry naturally and then straighten with thermal protector. I have been wondering if I've overloaded it with protein, as I tried the Wella repair emulsion and this seemed to actually make it worse. I also had a friend from college cut my hair this time around, and it's the first time I've had my own hair razored. I wondered if maybe the razor was a bit blunt or something as I've heard that this can cause damage? I haven't had this much damage for years so it must be something different i'm doing...

Just a thought:- you say you let your hair dry naturally, then straighten it, are you sure its not still damp while straightening it? This could cause damAge. Sometimes it is better to smooth it down slightly with a dryer and brush before straighteners. This smooths to cuticle as well first. Anyone else agree? Lucia xx

This is a good point actually. I usually let it dry overnight and straighten in morning so it's completely dry. But due to a hectic schedule of late I've had to do it while still very slightly damp, just on one or two occasions but do you think that could cause the damage? I must admit that hadn't occurred to me as it's very rare for me to do that.

This is a good point actually. I usually let it dry overnight and straighten in morning so it's completely dry. But due to a hectic schedule of late I've had to do it while still very slightly damp, just on one or two occasions but do you think that could cause the damage? I must admit that hadn't occurred to me as it's very rare for me to do that.

Yep will defo cause damage as its singeing it putting heat on wet hair! Xx

Lol, me getting sloppy, of course I wouldn't do it with a client but there's me rushing out and cutting corners with my own hair. Thought i'd get away with it just once or twice but I guess i'm paying the price.
To try and get it back to a better place I'm thinking of using the Philip Kingsley elasticiser as it's been so widely recommended. We don't stock it, so just wondering if anyone knows whether it adds protein or not, as I may have overdone the protein too :eek: oops x

Also - this is such a newbie question, but would like to know so I can advise clients also, is there any kind of test you can do to see whether hair has too much protein or not enough? I was always taught that breaking hair needs more protein, but on here a lot of people say that too much will have the same effect. Thanks, sorry for all the questions!! x

Latest posts

Back