Mystery Nail complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan2682

Reaction score
Hello There

I was wondering if you can help

I have a regular client that has come to me with a strange nail complaint and I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice.

On removing my clients overlays we discovered that the line between her free edge and nail plate has been distorted on her nails. As opposed to your normal nice neat curved line, they have become mis-shaped and exposing a free edge that on a few of the nails runs right into the centre of the nail plate (some nails on the other hand only have very minor lifting). I have previously noticed that on this particular client the line between her nail plate and free edge is sometimes less than perfect, however this is very extreme! There is no discolouration to the nail at all, the client has no discomfort, and on asking, she has not been doing anything with her hands that is out of the ordinary. The only time I have seen anything like this was with a fungal nail infection (which obviously also comes with discolouration and a thickening of the nail, and is usually only on the one nail!), or once where a client was a regular gardener and that would sometimes cause parts of the nail to lift away from the nail bed (usually when she'd accidentally forced bits of plants down her nails!!)

I am using Biosculpture, and have been following the same practice for the last 3 years without every seeing this problem. All my equipment is cleaned between clients, and the nail bed is always sanitised carefully before any overlays are applied. I have told her to go to the doctors, but I have a sneaking suspicion she won't, so wanted to look for some advice so I can advise her better next time I see her, and also to check its not something I'm doing wrong or could prevent!

Thanks for your help :o)

Megan

Hello There

I was wondering if you can help

I have a regular client that has come to me with a strange nail complaint and I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice.

On removing my clients overlays we discovered that the line between her free edge and nail plate has been distorted on her nails. As opposed to your normal nice neat curved line, they have become mis-shaped and exposing a free edge that on a few of the nails runs right into the centre of the nail plate (some nails on the other hand only have very minor lifting). I have previously noticed that on this particular client the line between her nail plate and free edge is sometimes less than perfect, however this is very extreme! There is no discolouration to the nail at all, the client has no discomfort, and on asking, she has not been doing anything with her hands that is out of the ordinary. The only time I have seen anything like this was with a fungal nail infection (which obviously also comes with discolouration and a thickening of the nail, and is usually only on the one nail!), or once where a client was a regular gardener and that would sometimes cause parts of the nail to lift away from the nail bed (usually when she'd accidentally forced bits of plants down her nails!!)

I am using Biosculpture, and have been following the same practice for the last 3 years without every seeing this problem. All my equipment is cleaned between clients, and the nail bed is always sanitised carefully before any overlays are applied. I have told her to go to the doctors, but I have a sneaking suspicion she won't, so wanted to look for some advice so I can advise her better next time I see her, and also to check its not something I'm doing wrong or could prevent!

Thanks for your help :o)

Megan

Do u mean the nails seperating from the nail bed? Like onycholosis?

Hi Megan,

Do you mean Onycholysis?... does it look like the nail plate itself is lifting from the nail bed?

This could be because her nails are just too long for her lifestyle and she may have damaged them herself unknowingly.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your post,... the big paragraphs always hurt my eyes when I read them :)

Do u mean the nails seperating from the nail bed? Like onycholosis?

Sorry Kate I'm very slow at typing today and we posted at the same time :lol:

Thanks for the information guys :)

Just had a look online and it looks like Onycholosis as the nail plate is lifting away from the bed.

My client already keeps her nails really short (simply because she likes the look), so it wouldn't really be an option to cut them shorter.

What would be the likely cause be based on the information I've given, and even without any discoloration could it be fungal? And if so, how likely would it be that it would effect virtually all her nails?

Thanks for your help

Are some people simply prone to Onycholosis? Her nails are weaker than a lot of my clients, and more prone to breaking along the nail plate!

Hi Just an idea- have you changed your bulbs recently? Am I right in thinking that if you don't get a complete cure it can lead to product allergy or nail separation? I don't do biosculpture but read this about shellac.
Don't know if this helps!
Lucie x

Just had a look online and it looks like Onycholosis as the nail plate is lifting away from the bed.

My client already keeps her nails really short (simply because she likes the look), so it wouldn't really be an option to cut them shorter.

What would be the likely cause be based on the information I've given, and even without any discoloration could it be fungal? And if so, how likely would it be that it would effect virtually all her nails?

Thanks for your help[/

Possibly her life style? Nail trauma? Contact with chemicals? Are her hands wet alot?
Could be the plants getting stuck down her nails? Lol
Do you use solar oil? If they are kept short and dry, she can apply solar oil under the nail to stop them drying and lifting more.
Just make sure she doesn't stick anything down the nail to make the problem worse.

If her nails are very weak it may be just due to trauma... there are a number of reasons she may have it, one being psoriasis of the nail... it's highly unlikely to be a fungal infection, but I would keep her nails as short as possible and use Solar oil every day if she won't see a doctor.

Does she use anything to clean under her nails?

Don't know what's happening with my posts lol but here it is again lol

Possibly her life style? Nail trauma? Contact with chemicals? Are her hands wet alot?
Do you use solar oil? If they are kept short and dry, she can apply solar oil under the nail to stop them drying and lifting more.
Just make sure she doesn't stick anything down the nail to make the problem worse.
I had a client that had it bad but she had worn acrylic nails for along time and repeatedly picked them off.
But I do think she was more prone to it as it never properly dissapeared xx

Thanks for your help[/

Kate... I'm typing slow again.. so sorry, just getting over the vomiting bug so I'm not as quick off the mark as I usually am :lol:

Kate... I'm typing slow again.. so sorry, just getting over the vomiting bug so I'm not as quick off the mark as I usually am :lol:

Lol this post was blank but when I quoted it I could see it?! How strange!
Don't worry about it, she's better with too much info than not enough lol xx

Megan,

I think it would really help you if you invested in a Nail book so you can familiarise yourself with the deseases and disorders of the nail (there are a lot!!)

You will come across a lot of conditions and although none of us are Doctors, we can recognise most of these disorders and know how to treat them.

Onycholisis is not that uncommon and you'll know it the next time, but you need to know your contraindications and need to recognise when not to preform a service.

You'll feel a lot more confident :hug:

Doug Schoon Nail Structure and Product Chemistry is a brilliant book... I have a few, but it's the best in my opinion and very easy to understand.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it!!!

I only do manicures part time, and virtually all my clients are regulars, so I think I lead a very sheltered life when it comes to manicures! I'm going to do a bit of reading on potential problems (my training was way back so I could definitely do with a refresh). And make sure I keep an eye on my clients problem, armed with some information this time!

Thanks again.

Megan x

Allergy can cause this also antibiotics and thyroid problems. X

Excessive thinning of the nail plate can cause onycholysis.

Latest posts

Back