Nail advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshie_91

Reaction score
Hi I'm hoping a nail geek can help me!

I've got a wedding to go to next week and I really need my horrible short stumpy nails sorted out.

I'm a complete nail virgin (minus normal nail polish!) and I really fancy some nice natural looking longer nails, am I best going for acrylic or gel extensions?

And is there anything I should be aware of in a nail salon? I've heard so many horror stories from where I'm from about clients getting infections etc so I'm a bit nervous. Also I suffer from dermatitis on my hands so wondering if that's a contra indication maybe??

All advice welcome :) thank you x

don't go to nss salons they drill at your nails it's really bad and leaves a lot of damage, id go for acrylic personally as I find them more hard wearing and if your new to nail extensions you might need something more hard wearing so your not ending up been over careful, best bet is to ask around your local area for good salons and check them out on Facebook etc, when you've had your nails done try and get your hands on some solar oil for your cuticles as it will keep your nails nice and healthy for the duration you have the acrylics on, also go back for Infills and soak offs don't pull them off, good luck xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you should factor race into it. However do research. Make sure your salon is using a reputable brand, CND, NSI, Harmony are all good but there's many more.. Ask them what products they use... If they are using products from unlabelled bottles steer well clear.. Also electric files are generally not a good idea so if you see them using them personally I'd steer clear, however some good techs do use them, I just think they can easily go bad in the wrong hands. Remember you get what you pay for...
What area are you in there maybe a tech on the site who can help?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi

I just wanted to check that you would like them on for a longer duration than a day? And regardless of which you go with, if you decide not to have them infilled (repaired, replaced and topped up) you must go back to the salon to have them removed or you could permanently damage your nails.

It is down to personal preference whether you would like gels or L&P (acrylics) Have you thought about asking around, see what other people have had done and their recommendations. That's the best way to know what you're going to get.

Don't be afraid to go into the salon and ask what brands they are using. CND, NSI are both great brands to be looking for. You could also do a quick search for salons in your area. Most business now have Facebook, Instagram etc. and you would be able to see their work.

Hope this might have helped. X

If you are suffering from dermatitis on your hands and around your fingers, then i would not advise you have them done. It would only cause more irritation. Find a good salon and go in for some advice xx

Hi I'm hoping a nail geek can help me!

I've got a wedding to go to next week and I really need my horrible short stumpy nails sorted out.

I'm a complete nail virgin (minus normal nail polish!) and I really fancy some nice natural looking longer nails, am I best going for acrylic or gel extensions?

And is there anything I should be aware of in a nail salon? I've heard so many horror stories from where I'm from about clients getting infections etc so I'm a bit nervous. Also I suffer from dermatitis on my hands so wondering if that's a contra indication maybe??

All advice welcome :) thank you x

Because it's such a minefield out there, I'm going to advise you to find a local salon using the CND salon locator. It doesn't guarantee that someone will follow all procedures to the letter, but it's a good start and gives you a feel for the salon. Then see if they have a Facebook or Twitter page to see examples of their work.

If you feel you want to book in, ring and have a chat about your needs as you really need a consultation to see how best to proceed. The tech will suggest which option will be best for you.

If it's for a one off like it sounds, then maybe CND Brisa Lite Sulpting gel is the way to go. You will need to return to the salon afterwards to have it removed properly and you will need to purchase Solar Oil and use it at least twice a day. This helps to plasticize the nail coating, keeping your nails flexible and so preventing chipping. This retails at around £3.95 for a small bottle that will last you the duration of your nails.

I'm not saying that CND is the only way to go, but the salon locator makes it an easy option for you as well as the amount of information on here about it.

http://www.lovecnd.com/salon-finder/

Thank you all for your help.

Yeah I would like then on for longer than just a day, would love then permanently as all my nails seem to do when they get to a certain stage is snap off.

I was worried about the dermatitis too but it's not near my nails, just at the base of my fingers and my hands.

Thank you Nicole for the Cnd finder, I've used it but unfortunately the nearest one to me is over an hours round trip. That's what I get for living in a small welsh town I guess lol!

I'm off to do some research now
Thanks again :)

Just had a thought. You could put a shout out on SweetSquared's facebook page, searching for a CND enhancement salon for your area? Equally you could try this on Nail Harmony's FB page, or if you PM me your town I could see what I could find out for you.

The salon locator website may not show a true story as you have to purchase every 60 days to stay on there.

Just had a thought. You could put a shout out on SweetSquared's facebook page, searching for a CND enhancement salon for your area? Equally you could try this on Nail Harmony's FB page, or if you PM me your town I could see what I could find out for you.

The salon locator website may not show a true story as you have to purchase every 60 days to stay on there.

Thank you Nicole I think I've found a salon now through asking around. Off to see her tomorrow to see what she suggests :) x

Latest posts

Back