Nail Comps..... why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
Hey Geekios
im still on a massive high from the weekend at EC
im sure you are all wondering abt the title....
why would i put my self through all the restless nites, stress, worry etc... and be brave to enter a nail competition???
to be honest if you had asked me that a 2 yrs ago i wasnt too sure..... i think i wanted to see what all the fuss was abt and see if i could do a set of nails in a comp...
well im sure many of you know ive only entered a few comps but they have been over the past 2 yrs and boy have my nails changed and i have changed as a tech in salon as well.... i have improved imho 100%
how have i gone from novice competitor who misses the comp alltogether to a winner in that time.....
well i'll let you all in a wee secret.... training...and getting out there...
even tho i have achieved a high level in my work by becoming a master artist educator i still need to have training..... i havent just stopped and thought yep thats it i must be wicked at nails so i dont need to improve.... i totally need improvement to make myself better and help my students and of course my clients have better nails..... i hope i dont appear big headed in writing this... trust me i totally lack self belief.... hense my still total shock at my win
in the past 2 yrs i have done at least 7 competition classes with Antony, Najet and Danny Haile as well as many workshops with Antony on areas i felt i needed help in.... due to my silly lack of self confidence i need to keep going and try to make myself better as a tech...
Entering nail comps wasnt something that id ever planned in the beginning.... i was like many of you geeks out there .... na id never do that far too scared....its still scary but i havent given up.... i think that the nailympics gave me an aim.... i wanted to enter the first here in the uk and it was a fellow geekio (Cathie (!)) and Antony who have pushed me to do it... now its something i want to do time and again...
i feel such a buzz from just having a go and doing it
each comp i have given my self an aim....a wee goal that i personally wanted to achieve.... i didnt care abt the winning i wanted to reach my goal
my first comp was finishing..... i didnt quite get there but i did better in what i done with regards to my nails that i expected so my next little goal was to get the nails on with 2 coat of red polish.... and buffed to a high shine.... or there abts...lol (that was the nailympics).... i placed 6th so for the EC comp i wanted to get top 5... and even tho i placed 1st id have been totally over the moon with 5th place....
i was asked to join the first ezflow uk comp team this past summer and it is a honour to have been hand picked to part of a fab team... like ruth has said in another post working towards comps with a team really does spur you on and Georgie, Margarita and Antony have really given me fab support as well as Sabrina and all my geekio mates
i wanted to write this post abt comps to show that with determination, training loads and loads of practice and setting your self personal goals you can all achieve something from entering in to a nail comp be it photographic, free form sculpt, nat nail etc... im sure other geeks who have entered comps can tell you the drive it gives you to go on
i wanted to post a photo of the nails i did in my first comp (olympia 2004)
please all have a look

i hope you can all see a difference in my nails... and nt give up on entering a nail comp!!

Jess
xox

Fab post Jess, I am sure many more will be inspired to start on the comp circuit now. You have worked hard and with training and determination have achieved your dream. Well done xxxx

The hard work, training and all you have done has definately got you to no:1

Well done you deserve it :D

You are living proof if you want something bad enough go go get it!

Take care

Jess you are an inspiration :hug:
KxXx

jess that post came really from the heart, feel all emotional!

Thank you for posting that Jess. It has given me something to think about.

I didn't have the guts to have ago at Earls. Still struggling with the "I'm probably not good enough to have a go", yet I suppose it's what you learn through entering a competition that makes you a better nail technician.

I am hoping to enter into the nail comps next year and do 3d acrylic. I've got loads to find out and research, but i do want to do it.

You are an inspiration to us all Jess, well done you for getting 1ST!!

she got two 1 st!!!
talented talons said:
I am hoping to enter into the nail comps next year and do 3d acrylic. I've got loads to find out and research, but i do want to do it.

You are an inspiration to us all Jess, well done you for getting 1ST!!

Wow Jess, good post!

You're absolutely right in everything you've said. And BTW, your nails are a million times better now!

Entering a competition really shows us exactly where we are in a 'kind of' league, it shows us where we rank and gives us something to aim for....

Well done again!!

G. xx

Lovely post, I lack self confidence but one day would love to be brave enough to enter a comp, its a long way off yet though!! Practise is what I need at the moment.

Latest posts

Back