Nail condition after Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
I've been wearing brisa lite smoothing gel and shellac for about a week and decided to take it off this morning. My nails feel awful!! They are very very dry and i've noticed a lot of white marks? I haven't got my course until the end of this month so it might be down to my application/removal but I made sure I did everything by the book. Also when removing i'm not finding it very easy. I'm using the remover wraps and nourishing remover. Apply the wraps and time for 8 minutes from the first wrap but it will only come off if i really scrape so i've been re-applying the wraps for another 8 minutes and even then it doesn't come off as easy as i've heard. What am I doing wrong?? xx IMAG1876.jpg

White marks will be dehydration so slap on that solar oil but they might also be down to incorrect removal.

Are the wraps really saturated in remover and on really tight. I cannot get the CND wraps on myself tight enough so I personally use round cotton pads cut into quarters and hairdressing foil. As for scraping you really shouldn't be doing this at all. If you feel the need to use an orangewood stick it should only be very lightly pushing the shellac off not scraping. If I have any stubborn bits I soak a plastic backed pad, hold that to my nail and rub to remove any excess. Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel takes 15 minutes to remove using nourishing remover and shellac should only take 8. If you have both on 15 minutes should be fine for removal.

Hope that helps a bit

Xx

White marks will be dehydration so slap on that solar oil but they might also be down to incorrect removal.

Are the wraps really saturated in remover and on really tight. I cannot get the CND wraps on myself tight enough so I personally use round cotton pads cut into quarters and hairdressing foil. As for scraping you really shouldn't be doing this at all. If you feel the need to use an orangewood stick it should only be very lightly pushing the shellac off not scraping. If I have any stubborn bits I soak a plastic backed pad, hold that to my nail and rub to remove any excess. Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel takes 15 minutes to remove using nourishing remover and shellac should only take 8. If you have both on 15 minutes should be fine for removal.

Hope that helps a bit

Xx

Should of worded it a bit better, I meant I can only see it coming off if I was to scrape, I haven't been doing this that'd why I re-applied the wraps. Yeah they have been on really tight I can't feel my fingers lol and they have been saturated. I wasn't sure of the removal time of them both together. I've been using solar oil every night that's why I don't understand the white marks :/ xx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I've started to put a drop of solar oil on each nail before applying the nourishing remover and wraps and it makes a big difference especially when doing the longer soaks.

If you are having difficulty with getting Shellac off after 8 minutes make sure that your base coat and top coat are as thin as possible. Scrape as much as you can from the brush just make sure that everything is covered evenly. It certainly helped me out with removals as I was far too generous with my top coat. Thin to win :)

I see that you said that you didn't really scrape in your second post, but it really looks like you have taken some layers of nail plate off, almost like the Shellac has been picked off. Brisa Lite alone tales fifteen minutes to remove and with Shellac on top my CND EA told me to allow an extra five minutes.

Are you using the nourishing remover? As someone already mentioned, the thinness of your base coat is very important. Use solar oil more often. Besides preventing dehydration it also helps with removal.

You need to use solar il a couple of times a day when wearing brisa lite smoothing and shellac, I put my wraps on, wait about 15/20 mins, turn pull of and then wipe with a saturated pad and its all gone, there's a video showing on my facebook page, solar oil really helps removal and if you don't use it enough then removal can take longer hun :)

Popping back onto to update. One of my clients nails has started to look like this and I think it's a lack of solar oil. There's no issue with removal however but for love nor money I can't get her to use solar oil. I'm going to give her one of the mini's to see if that will get her to use it by asking her to test it for me.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink:)

I have a few clients that refuse to use oil but you know what! I will not take responsibility for their dry patches....why should I?

If you (like me) know you are removing correctly and you are not harshly scraping product off to remove it from the nail, then is all you (and I) can do is advise strongly to use oil but if they don't, they don't and there is nothing you can do about it.
Just make sure they are educated in the benefits of using oil and educated that while you do everything you can as the tech to care for the nails, you can not be held fully responsible for their nails if they refuse to help you and do their end of the service.

Don't stress is too much if you are 100000% sure that you are doing your removals correctly and can't take any blame for something out of your control.

I'm expecting a back lash but I gently scrape any Shellac off the nail, after 10 minutes of soaking with acetone on a pad and foil, it never just "comes off". I always have to help it off, is this normal??????

I'm expecting a back lash but I gently scrape any Shellac off the nail, after 10 minutes of soaking with acetone on a pad and foil, it never just "comes off". I always have to help it off, is this normal??????

No it's not normal but there are other ways to deal with this problem instead of scraping the product off the nail.
But in saying that if you are extra careful and gentle, you can gently push the product off but it is risky especially if you are new to the business.
If you are careful you can actually just push on the product and not the actual nail itself, so you are not scraping/pushing on the nail, only the product and bear in mind, the left over product should be somewhat softened from soaking.

If there is product left on the nail after soaking, you can get some cotton, soak it in remover, hold on the nail (concentrated where the product is) for a minute and then rub and this should remove the left over product.

Also, always check your own work and ensure you are applying your base coat thin and top as well, this is more often than not, the cause as to why there is product left after soak off.

Latest posts

Back