Nail damage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitsyProspect

Reaction score
I have been off work with a broken arm for 2 months and I have just got back to work with my first client and this is what happened to her nails! I'm almost positive that it's dehydration from acetone but I would like a second opinion.
She has been my client for about a year and a half and I always use the complete CND Shellac system including the Nourishing Remover. I have never seen white spots this bad before on anyone.
She has been to several other salons to have her nails done and can't be sure what kind of remover was used because it was in a dispenser.
I have started her on IBX and this photo was taken after the initial treatment and there was no change.
I am mobile, starting back to work slowly so only doing one client per day for a bit as I am still healing... Now, I'm wondering if I am going to see more damage as I see my regulars again.
Is remover the problem and is IBX the answer?

Attachments

• photo (12).jpg
    photo (12).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 620
Anyone? I've never seen these huge white patches before.

If it isn't dehydration then it's probably damage from harsh removal, such as scraping. If this is the case ultimately it needs to grow out, but you should see an improvement with IBX.

It looks like trauma of some sort to her nails, or she could have even had an accident with some manual work ( perhaps she didn't even realise at the time). It does grow out.

I'd say it looks like dehydration.
My aunts nails used to look exactly like this at Every shellac appointment, no harsh removal, hadn't banged or caught them and she really looked after her nails (apart from oiling regularly.)
So in the end I put it down to her not using enough solar oil. (Dehydration)

Since using gelish she doesn't get it at all now. Baffled!
I'm not saying change to gelish! Lol
but im sure it must have been something to do with shellac as I obviously do the same prep & removal as before & nothing else had changed apart from the products I used. And she still doesn't use solar oil/nourish x

It looks like trauma to me, perhaps using a metal tool to remove the Shellac? Or maybe the client has picked ? You won't be able to fix this, the damage needs to grow out. Careful removal using Nourishing remover and an orange wood stick, and lots of Solar oil :) x

I've seen this and it's trauma to the nails using a metal implement x

Whenever I get gel on my nails I always end up picking it off and it looks the same as this! (I'm not trained in nails just thought if add my experience!) I'd assume most people don't purposely do this to their nails so you wouldn't often see it, needless to say I don't get gel polish done anymore!

wow! that is caused by really bad rushed heavy handed removal techniques.

they will get better eventually. they just need to grow out.

a really good manicure is required! with lots of oil and a good nourishing nail varnish.... or maybe a clear gel overlay to coat them to make them shiny and keep an eye on them. if its just clear gel overlays you just need to infill them then so the white patches can grow out in peace without suffering more trauma from applying and removing shellac.

Thanks so much for the feedback. She did mention that the last tech she saw was especially rough on her nails.
We did discuss a gel overly (I have it on mine) but for the time being, I treated with IBX. She has gone for a vacation and I didn't want to try something new for her in case of lifting. We wanted her to be home so that I could repair if anything happened. She is a regular 2-3 week client and is suitable for infills.
She also uses her Solar Oil regularly... One of the very few that do!
Thanks again!

these are totally the same as my nails and i am a gelish lady. normally anyone else who had come to me with nails like this i would have said they totally picked off their polish! as the layers of her own nail have peeled off!

only my own nails have done this and i nourish them hydrating and oiling regularly! not as often as every day but enough. none of my clients nails ever look like this apart from one lady who is a picker and i know for a fact she has picked them off as i have witnessed her doing so whilst out!

this cannot be down to hydration alone it has to a mix of things! i have put mine done to just poop weak nails that suffer worse in bad weather, perhaps a kind of health issue. but i too am fed p with them being like this. i have just put my own post up for advice on a quick fix to make them look nice and a bit longer for my holiday. without them getting too much weaker than they are.

i will keep looking for comments back on here to see what others say or recommend.

but for me until my own issue i would have said picked them off or someone has not soaked/scraped them off correctly.

also BitsyProspect i love the nails in you pic.

Thank you for the compliments on my own nails! First time for Ombre French!
This client follows excellent aftercare and I take very good care when I remove and redo her Shellac. I use all CND products except for Cuticle Away (Cuccio) and a wood stick... no metal. She's never had white spots like this before...
I've gone and broke my arm in August so she went to other salons for 2 months and his is what happened.
I did however get some awesome feedback about the other salons that she visited. They didn't do things that I do AND they obviously did some damage to her nails.

Latest posts

Back