Nail Myths - FUN!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I'm writing up a pamphlet for my clients which will consist of F.A.Q's and nail myths. I want your girls help - what are some of the myths you've heard regarding nails and nail enhancements. Also have you heard any really insane and crazy myths?? I had a woman call me a few days ago, she's never had her nails done before and she kept me on the phone for almost an hour asking me questions, so that has prompted me to do this. I can just tell them to come in a grab a pamphlet and read it over, because I don't have time to spend an hour on the phone when I'm with a client (luckily when that lady called I had no client with me) and I figure this would be so much easier!

So... lets have a go... what myths have you heard?

The one that really gets my ire up is saying that enhancements damage and thin the natural nail when it is in fact 'bad' techs that do the damage by calling themselves 'etching' the natural nail so that the product will adhere will nail files of electric nail files, when in all actuality the natural nail does not need to be etched, just prepped properly.

BTW Great thread!

I was trained by nsi and we were told to lightly etch the nail with a file so that the product bonds to the nails. what would u suggest instead of this?? wb x

I was trained by nsi and we were told to lightly etch the nail with a file so that the product bonds to the nails. what would u suggest instead of this?? wb x
Some companies use the word 'etch' instead of 'remove shine'... providing you don't use anything harsher than a 240 grit then you're not removing nail plate, any harsher than that and you're filing the nail plate which will thin it over time and is detrimental to the health of the nail.

hth's a bit :green:

I had a client that came in this week for a set of enhancements,
once they were finished she asked me how long they would last,
i explained that if she wanted to keep wearing them she would have to come back every 2 to 3 weeks for a rebalance,
she looked at me totally appalled and said but my cousins have just had some fitted that will last for 3 months don't you do these ones :eek:
god knows what her cousins have had applied, it was in another part of the world :lol:

I had a client that came in this week for a set of enhancements,
once they were finished she asked me how long they would last,
i explained that if she wanted to keep wearing them she would have to come back every 2 to 3 weeks for a rebalance,
she looked at me totally appalled and said but my cousins have just had some fitted that will last for 3 months don't you do these ones :eek:
god knows what her cousins have had applied, it was in another part of the world :lol:

This made me laugh :lol::lol:

Maybe she got the wrong end of the stick (or her cousin did) and was told by the tech that they can last as long as 3 months if maintained regularly ???? Didn`t you ask her to find out and let you know what they were I would love to see the look on her face when she actually finds out what the tech said cause I bet she misheard!

These links are great hun, I've already skimmed thru them all before posting because this is not what I'm looking for exactly. My post is about client-mentioned myths.

- The biggest example (and I bet most common) is the "my nails need to breath" myth and the "I heard enhancements really damage your real nails".
ORGANIC means a product is natural/pure/safe etc.

ALL nail products are organic. Organic simply means that something contains CARBON. Many things contain carbon that are neither natural, pure or ‘safe’.

Nail Products cause cancer.

There are actually very few substances in the world that are known to cause cancer. Neither Nail products nor the chemicals related to nail products are among them.

Long-term wearing of nail enhancements thins the nail plate.
One of the reasons for this myth is that clients themselves may feel a difference in their nails when nail product is removed.
Firstly a protection has been removed so a client at first may be aware of a different sensation at the end of her fingers when her nails are ‘naked’. (Similar to taking a pair of gloves off your warm hands when out in the cold). In the same way, a slight build up of moisture in the nail plate when enhanced, makes the nail seem a touch softer when enhancements are removed. A few hours and a regular regimen of application of a good quality nail and cuticle oil will soon have the nails feeling just like normal again.

Tips with overlay are stronger than sculpted nails.

Actually a sculpted nail is less likely to break than a tip with overlay. A tip and overlay application has a natural breaking point where the tip is adhered to the nail plate.

Learning how to do nails is easy!

Learning how to ‘do’ nails may be easy.

Learning how to apply and create beautiful, lasting nail enhancements whilst keeping the natural nails healthy and strong and maintaining them that way for years is NOT.

The nail plate contains allot of calcium.
Actually the nail plate is comprised of less than one tenth of one percent (.001%) calcium. The natural nail plate contains more zinc and sodium than it does calcium and is mainly comprised of keratin.

White spots on nails are caused by not drinking enough milk.

White spots – sometimes referred to as ‘milk spots’ – proper name, Leukonychia -- have for centuries been linked with calcium deficiency; maybe because one most often sees them in young people or maybe because of the name ‘milk spots’. Whatever the connection is, calcium deficiency is not the cause of Leukonychia as we see it today in modern Great Britain. What they are, are clusters of immature nail cells that have not fully keritinized (hardened). Once a young adult’s system settles down, the problem will disappear. A white spot can also occur with trauma or continual knocking of the nail.

Jelly cubes help your nails grow long and strong.

There is nothing you can add to a normal healthy diet that will improve on what Mother Nature and heredity has given you in the way of nails. The fact is that when ladies start the ‘jelly cube’ routine, they also start to concentrate on looking after their nails more conscientiously so it seems as if there is improvement from eating the jelly cubes when in fact it is the improved care and attention they are giving to their nails that is making the difference.

Gel systems cause the least damage to the nail plate.

We can only assume where this myth came from!

Once again it needs to be stated that there is no one nail system that is safer or gentler to the nail plate than another. The skill of the technician is what determines the safety of any product. Harsh treatment during preparation, excessive use of rough abrasives or nippers and incorrect removal procedures are the 3 key areas where damage will be caused by a technician who is uncaring and unskilled.

Nails need a rest from enhancements every now and again.

Only in the case where sever thinning or damage has been caused to the nail plate, would there be a case for nails to have a ‘resting period? The key is to not cause any damage in the first place, and nails will never need a ‘rest’. Keratin (the main component of the nail plate) is non-living material. This non-living material will happily support the wearing of nail enhancements for as long as it is kept in tact and treated with care.

Nails need a rest and to breath every once in awhile.

Nails do not get tired and do not breathe so actually there is no reason for them to rest or to be exposed to the air if the client wishes to wear enhancements for years. It is up to the technician to maintain the natural nails beneath the enhancements by always treating them with care and attention to their good health.

Products that contain Calcium are good to help feed the nails.

There are only 3 things that one can do to the natural nail to promote good health. Cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing. Nails cannot be ‘fed’. Nails are not living tissue but rather non-living tissue. They can absorb water and oil but cannot assimilate nutrients. Nails contain very little calcium and are comprised mostly of Keratin and a few trace amounts of minerals. Nail products that make claims to feed the natural nail with calcium or any other substance are making bogus claims.
I have had clients ask about the things I've quoted above, all of which came from the links I posted previously.

IMO it's definitely worthwhile taking a brief note from each of them :wink2:

My favourites are that calcium or jelly will harden your nails...

I love those links to nail myths!! i think every nail tecn should print these off for their clients to read! These are so helpful xx

Latest posts

Back