Nail polish for men?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzanne1118

Reaction score
I had a client the other day for a pedicure who wanted a polish. We dont get many men in the salon and its usually just for massage so Im not sure if Im just not used to doing other treatments on men or not but do a lot of men get nail polish in your experience?

I've worked in spas as well as salons! I had more men in spas and they would have all sorts of treatments! I have done quite a few pedicures and manicures on men! There are quite a few products for men but we always used Jessica's Matte for Men. It can be used on fingers and toes drys matte (doesn't show at all!) and helps nourish the nail plate! I'm sure OPI and others must do something similar if that's what your after!

There's a lot of reasons why men might want nail polish... it can be popular with guys into particular genres of rock music... some men may be cross-dressers and want polish to look feminine too.

At the end of the day, why not?

I have an Orly Matte polish, but can't say I've ever used it on a chap.

Oh absolutly, each to their own! This guy wasnt a cross dresser or into rock (I dont think), just a 'normal' guy. He picked the colour he wanted. Was just a little suprised. I always find it a bit funny when your doing a mani/pedi on a man and it comes to the point 'do you want polish?' You can offend some men by asking as you want to keep it as 'manley' as possible but you cant not ask cause a lot of men do want it!

There is a company in the states who have a range for men called Man Glaze I think.

i use sparitual amigo matt topcoat for men, it may be discontinued as i havent seen it in the new catalogue but it is still available to buy!

I recently had clearly pink (clear) shellac on my nails and they look amazing!

Guys are getting more and more savvy about their appearence and want and need to be well groomed.

Id embrace this as it could potentially bring you in alot of business if you do it right!! :)

I recently had clearly pink (clear) shellac on my nails and they look amazing!

Guys are getting more and more savvy about their appearence and want and need to be well groomed.

Id embrace this as it could potentially bring you in alot of business if you do it right!! :)

Absolutly! Lets hope more and more men get into it! All our businesses could double! It's funny, it used to be seen as a feminine thing and it's becoming basic looking after yourself! So as a guy, you wouldnt be offended if I asked 'so what colour polish would you like'? Is there a way you have to ask men? Cause a lot of men are very awkward even being in a salon!

Absolutly! Lets hope more and more men get into it! All our businesses could double! It's funny, it used to be seen as a feminine thing and it's becoming basic looking after yourself! So as a guy, you wouldnt be offended if I asked 'so what colour polish would you like'? Is there a way you have to ask men? Cause a lot of men are very awkward even being in a salon!

I dont know about asking them what colour, as I would have though the majority would just want either a clear sheen or matte, (but there may be guys that want something more?).

I only opted for the shellac as buffing doesnt last enough and clear top coat chips.
A couple of mates have called me a gay for it but who cares, as long as I look well groomed and tidy then I win!

What I would think also is to look at using non fragranced products for guys or woody sandlewood type smelling products when doingmanicures.

I dont know about asking them what colour, as I would have though the majority would just want either a clear sheen or matte, (but there may be guys that want something more?).

I only opted for the shellac as buffing doesnt last enough and clear top coat chips.
A couple of mates have called me a gay for it but who cares, as long as I look well groomed and tidy then I win!

What I would think also is to look at using non fragranced products for guys or woody sandlewood type smelling products when doingmanicures.

Thanks for the advice, I need the salon to be more 'guy friendly' ;)

I never think anything of it, i grew up in the era of "new romantic" where guys wore make-up and nail polish all the time and had really long hair (you know, 80's) ive got friends of the same age let me do anything on them, nail polish, make-up, tan, anything

Latest posts

Back