Nail prep before gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerGirlNails

Reaction score
I am currently working in a nail salon part time, newly licensed (in the US). I've gotten some good experience from the owner, and I work on commission only, so I'm technically my own boss.

BUT, I am aggravated as of late about how the owner wants me to do certain things.

I was taught NOT to soak the nails in water prior to applying gel polish. The owner has me doing a full blown water-soak manicure prior to applying the gel polish. Lately she seems to be having customers with chips and pieces of the gel coming off, and blamed my application for it. I have had her show me exactly how she wants it done, but I can't help feeling it is because of soaking the nails in water, and then the nail drying and "shrinking" back to its original state that could be contributing to the chipping.

What should I do? I will do it how she she says, but I am close to walking out the door and telling her goodbye. This is the latest incident where I feel like I'm being blamed for product breakdown when I'm doing it how she has shown me.

Thanks!

I would never do a water manicure before a gel polish!! Asking for trouble. You're spot on.

I would never do a water manicure before a gel polish!! Asking for trouble. You're spot on.
Thank you for confirming what I suspected....I think I'm going to give my 2 weeks notice and move on to somewhere I can do what I've been trained to do!

Is the owner trained in gel polish?

Latest posts

Back