Nail splitting from eponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouboutinLover

Reaction score
I'm after some advice from an experienced Geek please.

One of my long term regular clients has damage to her thumb nail caused by eczema, usually it splits every 6 months or so from her eponichium and grows out. As long as the area is not sore/bleeding/pussing which it never has, I will use fibreglass and acrylic to seal it and all is well.

However on this occasion the nail has split from the eponichium exposing a large amount of nail bed. It's not sore or bleeding however as it is exposed skin - originally it was very tender. I removed the acrylic nail and told her to leave it to heal and apply Dadi Oil (she has a severe nut allergy)

It has been 6 weeks since it happened and the nail now looks like this. I would like some advice on how to proceed. Obviously she would like the nail to look aesthetically pleasing - but obviously as there is exposed skin I want to proceed with caution.

Can I re-apply the acrylic advising that lifting will most probably occur as there is no nail to adhere too at the eponichium or is it best to leave the nail area bare until the damage has grown out. I have her booked in for Monday so need some quick advice please.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1419126219.456720.jpg

Poor lady!!

I can't see any new growth coming up from the eponychium just exposed nail bed. Personally I don't think I would do anything other than keeping the nail short and as you've already suggested lots of cuticle oil.

Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with another suggestion.

Thank you for ur advice :)

Does anyone else have any thoughts? Really want to be able to give her something aesthetically pleasing - but only if it won't be detrimental?

:)

Ouch that looks nasty!! Could you not do a gel polish with a design and build it into it? Sort of like this but a triangular shape instead?
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1419190103.369625.jpg

I have a client with a thumb that looks just like this. I had never seen anything like it before. I am the same and wasn't sure what to advise.

Possibly onychomadesis? Should be referred to a GP as could indicate systematic illness x

Latest posts

Back