Nail Tech Maternity Leave - How do you cover?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney

Reaction score
My nail technician is going on Maternity leave end September and I can't decide what to do for the best.

Just wanted to hear some ideas/experiences from you guys please??

We are getting very busy so do I ..

• take someone on part-time now and train them up and have 3 technicians when Kim returns after maternity leave?
  • take someone on who is already experienced just for maternity leave?
  • just try and manage myself until Kim returns and train my receptionist to prep nails?
Thanks

If you feel that you're going to be busy enough to need 3 nail techs,brilliant, but if not would be inclined to take your 3rd option, but that depends on how you busy you are and how you can cope if you needed any time off.
I know you'd train your receptionist to prep thoroughly.
I personally wouldn't want someone new there on a temp basis,I'd be worried about her taking clients with her when she left ( a contract doesn't allways sort this problem, you can't controll clients :lol:).
:hug:

My nail technician is going on Maternity leave end September and I can't decide what to do for the best.

Just wanted to hear some ideas/experiences from you guys please??

We are getting very busy so do I ..

• take someone on part-time now and train them up and have 3 technicians when Kim returns after maternity leave?
  • take someone on who is already experienced just for maternity leave?
  • just try and manage myself until Kim returns and train my receptionist to prep nails?
Thanks

Finding an (good) experienced tech who would be willing to cover just for the period of maternity would be godsend - but may prove difficult.......talking from experience. You never know though sometimes someone just lands on your lap!!

Have you considered starting someone on a self employed basis to cover the busier periods? Perhaps someone who has kids etc and is only looking for a few days? People seem more keen these days to come back to work into this type of position.

I'd consider advertising for a self employed position that would offer you cover on your busier days, and if things work out i.e. they have a busy full colomn by the time your girl comes back (including many new clients of course) then they have justified making the position their own.

What I would say is don't burden yourself with extra outgoings (wages) at this time if you can avoid it!!

I personally wouldn't want someone new there on a temp basis,I'd be worried about her taking clients with her when she left ( a contract doesn't allways sort this problem, you can't controll clients :lol:).

I know what you are saying there Del, but someone who has been with a salon 5 years is just - if not more - likely to up sticks and set up on their own!!!!

Could you not ring round some of the mobile techs in your area? Someone may be grateful of a few weeks work but would still prefer to do mobile.
I am a salon owner and everytime i have leaflets through more door advertising different services, hair, nails etc..., then i keep hold of them as i never know when they will come in handy.
I've done this a few times with hairdressers. When i've been stuck i've called a hairdressers to come and and do a few cuts for me. I have about 6 different hairdressers who i can call on and if they are quiet they jump at the chance of earning a bit of extra money.

I know what you are saying there Del, but someone who has been with a salon 5 years is just - if not more - likely to up sticks and set up on their own!!!!

Yup very true :lol:

Trust no one :green:

Thanks guys, Still not sure what to do, think I'm going to take on an experienced tech and convert them to CND, but just part-time and then Kim can work part-time to start with when she comes back.

Will keep thinking but thanks for advice :hug:

Latest posts

Back