Nail technician courses for beginners, Leicester?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaCP

Reaction score
Hi, Salon Geeks!

Firstly, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place or something... I just joined.

Secondly, I want to be a Nail Technician when I grow up. Right now, I'm 16 (year 12) and doing A-Levels. I've always enjoyed doing nail art as a hobby, it's something I've done for the past 3-ish years but I haven't ever really considered it as something I could do for a career until now. I have a blog (that I haven't updated in a while) if anyone would like to see my nail art; The Nail Art Hobby

But now it's getting to the point where I need to figure out what I want to do when I leave school. I've been looking in to Nail Tech courses for a few months now (and lurking the forums) and originally I was thinking of the "Next Step Beauty Complete Nail Tech" course but a lot of people say not to do the few day/week long courses. Then, I looked into CND courses but they're all REALLY expensive.

I'm not sure if there are any full-time college courses in my area that specialize in Nails (I don't want to do beauty/hair/etc), but at the same time I'm enjoying doing the subjects I'm already doing at A-Level so I don't want to drop out (especially if the whole "being a nail tech" thing doesn't work out).

Sorry for the long post, I've probably forgotten a few of the points I wanted to make, but in summery I'd like to know;
1) Are there any age limits on most courses?
2) Would it be possible to do a course out-of-school hours (weekends preferably, or maybe summer holidays)?
3) Would it be better for me to do a course like CND or find somewhere that does NVQs in Nail Services (I think that's the name)?
4) Does anybody know of anything in the Leicester area that might be suitable? (Cheaper the better)
5) After doing some form of training, how would I proceed from there?

I'll probably update this again if I remember something I forgot to ask the first time. Thanks for your help! It'll mean a lot.

Does anyone have ANY advice? Even if you don't know about Leicester specifically, any suggestions are welcome...

Hi if im right im thinking that Melton mowbry is in leicetershire..? Then google Beverly Robinson she is ace! Really nice lady and great training!
Good luck! X

Hi if im right im thinking that Melton mowbry is in leicetershire..? Then google Beverly Robinson she is ace! Really nice lady and great training!
Good luck! X

Definitely agree! Beverley is a lovely lady. Great training! I have done most courses with her x

L

I've looked on your blog! personally I think you have a real talent for your age and to say you have had no training so follow your dreams and hope you find something training wise ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Well done you for finding something that you obviously love that can be a career for you =] it really is a rewarding job.

You have to be 16 to do training so that's good!

My advice is this, you get what you pay for. I would suggest that you google reviews of supposed traing centres, I'm sure I'm not allowed to post my honest opinion on some of them.

Training with CND seems like a lot of money but, you are paying for a career and in that respect, it's a bargain. You have so much support which is completely ongoing. Their education is second to none and you leave your course being able to work straight away. I'm not sure the same can be said about the others.

Best if luck honey, hope you find the answer you need xxx

Hi, great news that you are taking your passion and tuning it into a career. Choose wisely on the course you do. My advise is, if you train at a college that does not use one specific brand, that in the future you probably will need to use a certain brand and then to convert to be able to buy it, which will mean paying more money. Pay that money now( even if its a little bit more) as it is worth it! Very good luck.x

Thank you so much for all the advice, everyone! I'm thinking I'll probably end up doing a CND course, but if I do which should I go for? Would it be better to choose the Complete course and do everything at once, or start off doing just one type of training? Or maybe Naturally plus either gel or L&P?

I think it depends on your budget. Shellac is very popular at the moment because of the benefits so you could maybe start with that? Xx

Thank you so much for all the advice, everyone! I'm thinking I'll probably end up doing a CND course, but if I do which should I go for? Would it be better to choose the Complete course and do everything at once, or start off doing just one type of training? Or maybe Naturally plus either gel or L&P?

If you have plans to offer all systems l&p, Gel, Shellac, Manicure & Pedicure then it will work out cheaper to do the CND Complete Course rather than to do a little bit at a time.
Also remember that you get an ITEC Qualification with the CND Complete Course this is not available if you do any of the shorter courses.
:hug:

First of all welcome to salon geek!!

give sweet squared a call (cnd distributors and education) if you haven't already 08452106060 and have a chat, they are really lovely and will be able to tell you everything about each course in more detail so you can decide from there.

I definitely recommend you do either the complete or naturally plus 1 of the enhancement.
Being able to do enhancements really will be a good skill to have even if it's not something you do all the time. we are awaiting the launch of Brisa lite which may be incorporated into the courses but no one knows for sure so give them a ring, Also I believe the course is spread over an amount of days but they aren't all in one go. It's done over a period of time for you to develop each stage properly.

I know CND courses seem expensive but I can honestly say they are worth it. You get some of the best education there is and also your kit so it is totally worth it. If I could go back and start again I would choose CND complete from the start and I wouldn't be playing catch up now lol. Ive done shellac and Brisa conversion and so far they have been fab.

Good luck xx

I am vey biased, do the CND complete course. You will not regret it. But do look at other bands and compare.x

Just wanted to add to this I too am based in Leicestershire and agree with everything above x

Latest posts

Back