Nail technicians & runny nose

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazapoppy

Reaction score
Hi
This may sound strange but have any techs got problems with runny noses since working with nails?

I have been doing nails acrylic/gel & gelish for about 2 years and have noticed in the last 6 months ive had 2 sinus infections & lingering need to constantly blow my nose.

Ive never had nasal problems before, its not an alergy more an irritant. But (and excuse my pun) it's really starting to get up my nose lol.x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah I do. I'm fine at home but at work I can't stop sniffling. I spray a sanitizer I sneeze. I use catkin my nose runs. It tickles all day long. I get home and I'm fine!

Laura xx

Same here! My nose is always snuggly but only when I'm filing l&p and I have a dust extractor too xx

Hey lolli / lauren
I have an extractor as well although it's only a small one, im thinking of getting a face masks for filling especially l& p I think it might be the dust particals annoying my nose, I really hate having to leave my work station to blow my nose during a service, ahhh.

I'm constantly snotty and itchy nose. :(

Me too!!!!! I wonder which product triggers it?

Yes, I get this too! I thought it was just me having a very sensitive nose - glad I'm not alone :) x

It's caused by dust from filing, just wear a mask problem solved :)

Yay, I thought it was just me as well. I'm only doing shellac for the most part in a really nice salon, there's no way I could wear a mask. How do you guys handle it? Sniffle constantly? Wipe your nose repeatedly? Even if I politely excused myself, I can't do it multiple times during one appointment.

Yay, I thought it was just me as well. I'm only doing shellac for the most part in a really nice salon, there's no way I could wear a mask. How do you guys handle it? Sniffle constantly? Wipe your nose repeatedly? Even if I politely excused myself, I can't do it multiple times during one appointment.

Because a mask looks worse than constantly sniffling and wiping your nose ?

How strange this happens to me my nose just starts running. I now have a box of tissues an just say excuse me and wipe then sanitise my hands but it's embarrassing x

Maybe try a antihistamine pill for a few days and see if it helps.
I know you probably wouldn't want to be taking them every single day but for days when you can't get up and away from the desk for fresh air at all it may relieve it a bit.

Thanks for all your replies, glad im not alone in the battle against the runny nose, im going to get a mask and try antihistamines.x

Maybe try a antihistamine pill for a few days and see if it helps.
I know you probably wouldn't want to be taking them every single day but for days when you can't get up and away from the desk for fresh air at all it may relieve it a bit.

I was going to suggest antihistamine as when I last had a cold and had the sniffles towards the end, it became rather difficult to deal with and so the pharmacist recommended them and they worked a treat!

No sniffles! Xx

Yes I get this. I use Shellac and find it happens most when using the base coat. I've started putting the bottle over to one side instead of holding it as I think I inhale the vapours as I work, unavoidable unfortunately. If I have to blow my nose I just excuse myself & sanitise afterwards.

If it is an allergy beconase nasal sprays are brilliant as I find antihistamines leave me dehydrated, I still get lots of bogeys TMI sorry after doing acrylics but can sort that out once the client has gone

If it is an allergy beconase nasal sprays are brilliant as I find antihistamines leave me dehydrated, I still get lots of bogeys TMI sorry after doing acrylics but can sort that out once the client has gone

Lol I get lots of puggies too! Anti histines don't work for me :( x

These replies are brilliant ( and honest) the not so glamorous side of being a nail tech.x

Lmao. I think I need a a spray thing cause it's so embarrassing. I work with a lot of others too and it's mainly me it happens to! All year round I'm trying not to sneeze on clients haha

Laura xx

if it's a year round issue, see your practitioner it could be truly an allergic rhinitis and there are a LOT of treatments for it - not just antihistamines, but there is a ladder of meds and trying various items you may find one that works.

As an aside, i would ALWAYS suggest a mask for filing anything other than natural nails. L&P or hard gel. If you are using L&P I'd suggest a mask through the process of filing and when the powder is open.

it might just be my OCD but I feel you're going to be inhaling particles and there are so many respiratory issues that can come of this (both upper respiratory (nasal/sinus) and lower (lung etc).

If i have a cold or my nose is running i wear the mask for the entire treatment - if a cold i put on at the beginning and say, "sorry, I have a cold and don't wish to expose my clients to it"

They usually are HAPPY that you are doing that especially with the holiday season upon us.

Latest posts

Back