Nail trauma - possible infection - urgent advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsAqua

Reaction score
Hi all

I just had a call from a client who thinks she has a nail infection.

I saw her 1 week ago and she had suffered some trauma to one of her nails. The nail plate had split in the middle of the nail, exposing raw nail bed. It was bruised, but free of any infection. I cleaned the nail with ScrubFresh and put a tip on to protect it (with gelbond) and covered with CND gel.

She tells me that her nail gradually got sorer and sorer over the week to a point she wasnt able to use it to type. She also did some gardening last week and a stick jabbed right under the sore nail! She said the nail looked all white and now there is pus oozing from it!!

I have advised her to get some Betadine from the chemist tomorrow (she can't see me tomorrow) and I would remove the nail the next day.

I'm proposing to remove the nail, clean and recommend anti-fungal ointment?? I'm worried she may loose this nail. What do I do?? If the nail has detached half way, what would you do?? help please!

This is quite an unusual thing to happen! Do you know how it happened? If it was a very recent trauma how can you know there was no infection? It could have been 'brewing'

If it is simple damage it shouldn't still be hurting. I suggest you remove all product (which will probably be painful), don't diagnose or recommend anything else and suggest she goes directly to a pharmacist.

I think this may have been a situation that should have been looked at by a pharmacist first (but that is easy to say in retrospect)

Still rather new to the industry, but my courses did include a section on Medical Theory with a very heavy focus on nail trauma, infections and injuries (mostly to the end that we know when to refuse service and direct clients to proper medical care) and I agree that she should be directed to medical personnel as soon as you get the product off her.

The exposure of raw flesh, as opposed to just symptoms of fungal infection to me is just too serious.

Tell this woman to see a doctor.

I personally would never put an enhancement on a traumatized nail until it has fully healed.

Tell this woman to see a doctor.

I personally would never put an enhancement on a traumatized nail until it has fully healed.

I ABSOLUTELY agree! :)

i agree too
but i was taught never to tip a traumatized nail either just do a NNO over it till it healed

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm a little stressed about what I might find. The trauma happened around 1 week before, so I thought it was safe to do. And I suppose I should have directed her to contact me immediately if it got sore. She did say that she was gardening last week after her appointment and a stick jammed right up under the nail. Already sore and more trauma, probably not a good mix. Thanks again.

I advised her last night to go to a chemist for good antibacterial wash until I can see her the next day.

Latest posts

Back