Nails are splitting, weeping and sore after using Gelish-anyone else had a problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemsGelish

Reaction score
I've been having my nails done for years and had no problem. Started doing my own and they've been great. I had an allergic reaction before Christmas to antibiotics which affected my hands as well as other areas of my body. (My fingers swelled, had lots of little water blister on top of my finger. The nails were splitting, had big blisters under my nails and they were sore and weeping. I took it all off using a gelish remover not acid tone but was very painful. I've rested my nails and put some on for the first time last week. The reaction wasn't the same as before it's a lot milder but there's still a reaction. Small blisters which lasted 2 days, nails splitting, a lil sore and dry. I've been putting gelish nourish on everyday and this seems to help.
Am I allergic now? Or doing something wrong. I use ph bond before I put a base coat on could this be the cause?

If anyone knows what to do, or has heard of this reaction before I'd really appreciate some advice as I love gelish and really don't want to stop using them xxx thanks in advance

Hi, sorry to hear, this sounds really painful! What lamp are you using to cure your gelish? Xx

Hiya,it is, I'd hate to stop using gels. I'm using a uv lamp. Do you think it could be the lamp?xx

Sounds like it could be contact dermatitis, I get this when I come into contact with gelish, Calgel and any acrylic. Shellac is the only thing I can wear on my nails, everything else I use I have to wear gloves. It may not be dermatitis but I would maybe make an appointment to see your gp.

Ash x

Please do not experiment with your own nails and professional products, particularly when unqualified to do so.

The best advice we can give you at this stage is as per the above, a visit to your local GP for some medical advice.

Will rest my nails and try some shellac. Hopefully this will do the trick. Thank you. (Hurry up a heal Fingers) :) xx

It's been fine Noodle for ages, but since I've had a allergic reaction to antibiotics I'm having this problem. :/

It sounds like you've had a reaction to undercured product. I believe once this has happened you will always be allergic to that product. I would visit your GP for them to take a look.

I really wouldn't go and waste your money buying Shellac when you're not qualified. You will need the whole system or the same thing could happen. Why not have a look around your local salons and find some one that does CND Shellac, and get them done professionally?

Hope your fingers get better soon xx

Thanks Miss Lease. Me too, there getting there slowly. I'm signing up for a course so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it. Hopefully it'll be a product thing and not an allergy (fingers crossed) xx

If you've become allergic to Gelish, chances are, you will be allergic to most if not all of the other brands. (All gels inc. Shellac contain some form of acrylates and these are the most common allergens in nail enhancements)

Before you spend any money on training courses, have a couple of nails done at a reputable salon who only use the full systems with each brand using shellac, OPI gel or other brands you fancy and allow at least 3 days between each appt. to see if you experience any reaction at all.

I spent hundreds of pounds on training and products and then developed a severe allergy and had to sell all my kit. I just stick to hairdressing now. :-(

My friend whose a beautician said the same-not to buy anymore just yet or to do a course until I know what's going on. She's gone through my kit and method and said I'm doing it's correctly, and told me it could be the lamp. I'm going to wait until my fingers are all healed up and she's going to do my nails and see if there's a reaction. I really hope I'm not allergic. I'm getting married next year :( xxx

Just an update, had my nails done on Saturday (at a salon) using shellac after months of using nothing but nourishing oil... A couple of hours later my cuticles are raised, itchy, a lil red ect. Turns out I'm having a reaction to the uv machine! Just incase you see anyone else having similar symptoms.

💅😢😭

Just an update, had my nails done on Saturday (at a salon) using shellac after months of using nothing but nourishing oil... A couple of hours later my cuticles are raised, itchy, a lil red ect. Turns out I'm having a reaction to the uv machine! Just incase you see anyone else having similar symptoms.

💅😢😭

Sorry to hear that, but you are experiencing the very reason why these products are for professionals to use and require training. I would go and get the Shellac removed by the professional asap so that it is removed correctly and your nails/skin can be nursed back to health.

������

You are NOT having a reaction to the UV lamp . You are having a reaction to the product . As someone else said once a reaction has occurred it is likely that you will react to any enhancement product .

Have the shellac professionally removed and steer clear of any gel/L & P on your nails

I've spoken to several people who have seen my hands ((professionals)) and they've said it's uv lamps and not the products as it's not going on my skin, nothing's happening to the nail itself just the skin- looks like a burn ie from the lamps. And they've seen reactions to products and it doesn't look the same. Plus I needed to try again as I don't want nail varnish on my wedding day...
Thanks again

Thanks Nicola777 already have...hopefully I can use/get something done in my local salon that won't give me a reaction as nail varnish rarely stays on a couple of days in work -thats why gel etc we're so helpful. Thanks again

I agree, I very much doubt it's the UV your allergic to, I think that's fairly rare, in fact I haven't actually heard of anyone being allergic to the UV lamp but allergies to polish are very common and look and sound like what you are describing. As stated before once your allergic to products you just are. It doesn't matter that it's not going on the skin. Like any type of allergy it reacts if it touches the body. People with severe nut allergies don't need to actually eat nuts to become unwell- even a trace can be deadly.

Please explain how you think your allergic to the UV lamp? If this was the case maybe you could use an LED lamp. I bet you would have the same reaction.
Are you allergic to the sins UV rays then?

It is the product you are allergic to.
It doesn't have to touch your skin if it is on your nail, but your skin will react.

If someone goes on a airplane allergic to nuts then they don't sell peanuts for that flight. It can effect that person without someone accidentally flicking a peanut in their mouth lol.

Laura xx

Oops sorry Hazeleyes I just said pretty much the same thing as you. I didn't read your post until after 😳

Laura xx

I've been having my nails done for years and had no problem. Started doing my own and they've been great. I had an allergic reaction before Christmas to antibiotics which affected my hands as well as other areas of my body. (My fingers swelled, had lots of little water blister on top of my finger. The nails were splitting, had big blisters under my nails and they were sore and weeping. I took it all off using a gelish remover not acid tone but was very painful. I've rested my nails and put some on for the first time last week. The reaction wasn't the same as before it's a lot milder but there's still a reaction. Small blisters which lasted 2 days, nails splitting, a lil sore and dry. I've been putting gelish nourish on everyday and this seems to help.
Am I allergic now? Or doing something wrong. I use ph bond before I put a base coat on could this be the cause?

If anyone knows what to do, or has heard of this reaction before I'd really appreciate some advice as I love gelish and really don't want to stop using them xxx thanks in advance

just out of curiosity...you said you'd been getting your nails done for years and the problem only started after you had AB's and after you started doing your nails yourself....Can I just ask you where you purchased your products from and if you have had any professional training ?

Latest posts

Back