Nails continually crack from sides..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Advice please, as I'm stumped! No matter how much I look after my nails, or apply solar oil, or whatever, my nails always seem to develop small breaks/tears from the sides inwards - and not even when they are long. They are squoval shape, so I try to leave the sides alone as much as possible. I did bite my nails for years (though not for the past 5 years or so) - could this be behind it? Or am I just not blessed with nails that grow?

It's so annoying - I just start getting them to a decent length and another one develops a crack so I have to cut them all down to a common length and start again. I also have short nail beds, and my nails start to curl into a very tight C-Curve if they get remotely long, which I'm not sure is connected. Is there anything I can do to help them? (I'm almost tempted to eat a square of jelly a day as in the old tradition to see if this helps!!)
They do grow decently long with gel on them, but it would be nice to think that I could have long natural nails if I wanted them.

My nails (well thumb nail left hand) do exactly the same thing, even with an acrylic overlay I still knew when it split on the one side.

Ive always put it down to the fact that once I had a bad infection down that side of the nail but hearing your issues Im not so sure.

Id also like to know what the reason may be. It only effects one nail for me but its a pain when your nails are long and nice then one splits. :irked:

:hug:

Unfortunately it's only about 10 of women who can grow long nails on themselves, and by the sound of it you are amongst the 90% who cannot (Not quite sure about the percentages though, but almost)
It's so annoying when you canno grow long strong nails yourself, but nothing you do can or will change the structure of your nails you are born with it not even jelly:green: (vitamins and such only if you are in lack of it)
So if you want them long seems like overlay is your solution:hug:

Unfortunately it's only about 10 of women who can grow long nails on themselves, and by the sound of it you are amongst the 90% who cannot (Not quite sure about the percentages though, but almost)
It's so annoying when you canno grow long strong nails yourself, but nothing you do can or will change the structure of your nails you are born with it not even jelly:green: (vitamins and such only if you are in lack of it)
So if you want them long seems like overlay is your solution:hug:

He he I had an overlay and it still split, it just split under the overlay. Im just doomed to weak nails me thinks lol.

My nails do the same!! I was once told (don't know how true it is) that it is because your nails are strong and they don't bend when they are put under pressure,so they crack at a stress point. Not sure if its an urban myth ;) x
Posted via Mobile Device

Im guessing a myth as mine are so bendy you just look at them and they wilt lol.. No lie :irked:
Mind you its useful when I catch a nail, because instead of ripping my nail off or ripping the skin it just bends.

Haha. Mine are quite strong, its really painey when they crack though. Especially when they get caught on something !!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha. Mine are quite strong, its really painey when they crack though. Especially when they get caught on something !!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ive only felt that pain once, when I caught my nail (not the one that cracks) while I had the overlays on... The Pain The Pain!!! I was dancing around like a mad woman lol.

I know,I once had very long l&p tips on and opened the bolt of the stable door and it bent right back. I nearly collapsed!! Needless to say I went home and made them all really short. That will teach me to do manual labour with long claws !!
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a bit weird. Have you tried both gel and l&p? If they crack even with a nno, it sounds like there wasn't a proper apex built....

He he I had an overlay and it still split, it just split under the overlay. Im just doomed to weak nails me thinks lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

If your nails are strong & break at the sides, is it that they're 'dry'? Sometimes dry nails just don't like bending & when they do they tend to break as they're often a bit brittle. If so, there are a number of Jessica treatment base-coats that can help.

That's a bit weird. Have you tried both gel and l&p? If they crack even with a nno, it sounds like there wasn't a proper apex built....

Ive tried both gel and l&p, I had the gel put on first when my nails werent all that long, about 2mm of free edge, but I had lots of problems with the gel lifting and after about a month, month and a half I had the gels removed and l&p put on.

By which time the free edge of my nails was a good 7mms long, I had no problems with the l&p until about two or three weeks after, the side of my thumb nail felt soft almost, (hard to describe) but anyways it gave when I pressed lightly on it, I figured it had split and a week later had the l&p soaked off too.

The gel and the l&p was done by two different techs tbh and I prefered the l&p, I felt it was more durable.

Im not blaming the techs for my nail spliting under the overlay, I think Im doomed to have that nail spilt all the time (the others are all fine... if bendy)

It would be great to know what causes it so I could change something to improve it, but if its genetics them Im dooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Or if it is genetics then perhaps theres a strengthener which could keep it supported.. I already use cuticle oil regularly.

Latest posts

Back