Nails damaged after gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordon

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've just removed a ladies gel polish (OPI) and it looks like it's been scraped off, white marks but the nail plate is still smooth.

To remove I gently file the top coat off and wrap then I leave them to soak for 10 mins and slide the wraps off and I'll brush the lifted gel off, I try not to even use an orange wood stick to avoid scraping and will give them a good rub with a remover soaked pad to remove excess and if it still won't budge I rewrap.

What's going wrong?

Do you think it could be stress on the nail from not using cuticle oil and keeping the gel as flexible as the natural nail?

Please if anyone can see something I'm doing please tell me I'm quite embarrassed and feel awful [emoji17] x

Maybe it's not something you've done... clients can damage their own nails quite nicely on their own. If the nail plate is still smooth, there's white spots embedded (not on the surface), you are confident that you are gentle and proper with your removal techniques, I'd say it was the client that was rough on their nails OR they have an underlying health issue that either makes them susceptible to bruising or is actually causing the marks. Refer them to a doctor if it's new to them.

Maybe it's not something you've done... clients can damage their own nails quite nicely on their own. If the nail plate is still smooth, there's white spots embedded (not on the surface), you are confident that you are gentle and proper with your removal techniques, I'd say it was the client that was rough on their nails OR they have an underlying health issue that either makes them susceptible to bruising or is actually causing the marks. Refer them to a doctor if it's new to them.

Hi thanks!
I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong all of a sudden.

It's her third reapplication and they've always been in perfect condition under the gel which is also I perfect condition bar the regrowth [emoji53] x

Is your client using a cuticle oil on them regularly. if nails dry out they become brittle and a knock can cause white spots like this to appear across the stress area of the nail

Is your client using a cuticle oil on them regularly. if nails dry out they become brittle and a knock can cause white spots like this to appear across the stress area of the nail
This is what I was suspecting! I wanted to hear someone else agree!

No she doesn't, some just won't no matter what you tell them. x

any long term coating over the nail is dehydrating, even nail polish that why clients get white marks on their toe nails over summer from wearing nail polish continuously. Tell her that her nails are brittle because they are getting dry from her lack of cuticle oil, sometimes it helpful to say something like your hair and nails are both made out of keratin , imagine if you washed your hair 5 or 6 times a day and never used condition on it, how dry do you think your hair would be…. well your nails are the same, here is what i recommend and this is how you use it.

If the client still refuses to use it, unfortunately her problem will get worse and her nails will start to peel and crack and eventually they will be unable to hold shellac on them anymore. You can't force her to use it, just educate her on the benefits of using it. Thats all you can do.

any long term coating over the nail is dehydrating, even nail polish that why clients get white marks on their toe nails over summer from wearing nail polish continuously. Tell her that her nails are brittle because they are getting dry from her lack of cuticle oil, sometimes it helpful to say something like your hair and nails are both made out of keratin , imagine if you washed your hair 5 or 6 times a day and never used condition on it, how dry do you think your hair would be…. well your nails are the same, here is what i recommend and this is how you use it.

If the client still refuses to use it, unfortunately her problem will get worse and her nails will start to peel and crack and eventually they will be unable to hold shellac on them anymore. You can't force her to use it, just educate her on the benefits of using it. Thats all you can do.
Thanks Noreen you've been really helpful x

This is what I was suspecting! I wanted to hear someone else agree!

No she doesn't, some just won't no matter what you tell them. x
The single best thing you can do when wearing nail enhancements is to use a good quality cuticle on a daily basis. I tell my ladies that there's no point in having them done unless their going to be willing to do the home care which is using the cuticle oil everyday. I suggest possibly giving them a sample of cuticle oil to use I guarantee you once they start using it regularly and see that their nails are looking and wearing better they will be more inclined to continue using it.

Latest posts

Back