Nails falling off due to hand cleanser???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teeka3pn

Reaction score
HELP!

I've just had a text message from a lady who said her nails have all come off, (confidence right at this moment = zero).
I did two sets of l&P for a mother and daughter for a party and both were very pleased with the result, however!
The daughter text three days later to say they were falling apart and then re text an hour later to say that actually she had spilt weedkiller all over her hands earlier and hadn't been wearing gloves, (I soaked off but could see that they were firmally attached).
The mother has just text to say her nails have come off one by one and believes it could be the hand cleanser that she is required to use in the School where she works and no she will not be geting her nails re done!
Could this be the case, I have asked her if there was any product left on the nail but have had no reply!:cry::cry::cry:
I do my own nails and one other friend and they are always ok and I've started on a Saturday in a Nail salon and I've not had any reports back to say anybody elses have fallen off, could it be the cleanser?

Ali xxxxx

Not very likely.
In my experience, they are usually picked off or broken off by carelessnes.
I have not seen a single set 'fall off'. I say this because when I look at the nail plate afterwards, there is always tell-tale damage from forced removal.

IF they were not stuck in the first place, then they wouldn't have pulled at the nail plate and damaged it when they 'fell off'. Why would they tear the nail plate if they're not stuck?

Imagine two pieces of paper. You sit one on top of the other. Then lift the top sheet off. No tearing of paper, right? They're not stuck together and neither sheet of paper shows any 'damage'.
BUT if you put glue on the bottom paper, then set the 2nd paper on top of it... let the glue dry... THEN try to remove the top paper from the bottom paper... what happens? They tear because they are stuck.

Same thing with nail enhancements (more or less..).

hth's:hug:

Hi,
I actually have two clients who works at the same job and they both had problems keeping their nails. Thank god both of them stuck it out for 6 month, tried everything L&P, gel- different brands until I saw a thread on another forum wich talked about liquid soap at hospitals causing nails to "fall off". My clients brought their own soap to work and since then, no problems whatsoever!

Hi,
I actually have two clients who works at the same job and they both had problems keeping their nails. Thank god both of them stuck it out for 6 month, tried everything L&P, gel- different brands until I saw a thread on another forum wich talked about liquid soap at hospitals causing nails to "fall off". My clients brought their own soap to work and since then, no problems whatsoever!

Wow, that must be some heavy duty liquid soap! Can you imagine what germ killing (nail damaging) chemicals are in that soap.
How amazing that changing soap made things better :)

I work in a hospital and the soap we have now is horrible - loads of people are unable to use it, me included, as it gives sore itchy swollen bleeding hands with just one application!
And the hospital have switched to it on purely financial grounds, nothing to do with special germ-killing ability!
I have no idea if it would affect enhancements but it is awful stuff.

Come ON people ... no way could a soap used for skin be so caustic as to be responsible for nail enhancements completely coming off. Absolutely no way.

The soap could be responsible for drying out the product and making it more brittle and of course if they are not using SolarOil regularly to moisturize and counteract the dryness this could lead to breakage; but to debond a covalent bond such as Retention+ produces ... no way José.

Ali you have had lots of training and are not a newcomer to nails by the look of your profile. You know better than this and you should have every confidence in your product and by the sounds of it, your work.

I hate it when clients ring and don't have the nerve to come in and SHOW you what has gone on. No one would ever knock my confidence unless they stepped up to the plate and showed me the damage and I felt I was at fault. But then, I know I'm not at fault because I know what I'm doing .. and I'm sure so do you.

As regards the story about the lady who changed brand of soap and her nails stopped falling off :rolleyes: Maybe she changed a few other things too that she failed to mention such as, she finally started to look after and care for what she had bought ... her nails.

As regards the story about the lady who changed brand of soap and her nails stopped falling off :rolleyes: Maybe she changed a few other things too that she failed to mention such as, she finally started to look after and care for what she had bought ... her nails.

This, I think, is in regards to a thread I posted on about two of my clients who work in clinic/hospital and who use a dreaded pink soap about 25-50 times a day. One of them started bringing a different soap to work and the lifting stopped. So the other did the same, and her lifting stopped.
I think it's because the soap there that was used is very harsh and drying.

BUT their nails never "fell off", they just experienced mega lift, that I don't usually see on my clients.
As for them changing other things.... what they tell us and what they actually do aren't always one in the same and we can only hope that they are being truthful. One buys new oil on a regular basis. The other, not so much.

hth's

Hi,

This, I think, is in regards to a thread I posted on about two of my clients who work in clinic/hospital and who use a dreaded pink soap about 25-50 times a day. One of them started bringing a different soap to work and the lifting stopped. So the other did the same, and her lifting stopped.
I think it's because the soap there that was used is very harsh and drying.

BUT their nails never "fell off", they just experienced mega lift, that I don't usually see on my clients.
As for them changing other things.... what they tell us and what they actually do aren't always one in the same and we can only hope that they are being truthful. One buys new oil on a regular basis. The other, not so much.

hth's

I think it was in responce to the the first quote Victoria..:)

I think it was in responce to the the first quote Victoria..:)

Someone had said (and I'm sorry, too lazy to scroll up lol) that they had seen mention in another thread about lifting and soap.. that's what I was responding to.
:hug:

Jep! Now I remember, that´s the thread I was talking about!
Whatever the reason was for their nails to lift (almost completely off after two weeks)
it got fixed by switching the soap at work.
Since my other clients don´t lift (well, nearly never... hrrm)
I just figured it was the soap then.
Victoria, thanks for that thread, it certainly helped me at that time!

I have also one client who had used antiseptic hand rub several times a day at work and she had horrible lifting, 2/3 of each nail. Before that she hadn't had any lifting and she had used Solar oil every day etc. so I was horrified when I saw her nails. The antiseptic hand rub she had used contains 70% ethanol.:eek: That must dry out nails and cause lifting.

Many thanks for all your replies, I have found out a little more, but why the lady in question never came back to me after problems with the first nail I'll never know.

I have found out that the cleanser in the school is an alcohol based hospital antiseptic gel and that she would use it several times a day and that apparently the enhancements started to crack and break at the eponychium?

Ali xxxxxx

Hi everyone!
You know, I noticed something else here. I have pink soap at work. When I did my nails w/o proper education (I am taking a course now! ;)) I did not clean the cuticle from the nail properly. So, I noticed that I always got my liftings faster than they would usually appear, i.e. on 1-2 day after rebalance instead of on 2nd week. And that was like 2/3 of nail!!! Huge liftings 8-0 So, maybe it's just that dead skin that's affected by the soap somehow and then the lifting process is speeding?
I am not saying that other people do not do a proper prep, but may be it is good to pay attention to it? Anyway, now I am doing everything properly (thanks to Anna Lajourdie and Akzentz) and I have never had any liftings with this proper application! I was so amazed! :)
I wash my hands very well with the industrial soap every day now and not afraid of lifted product :)
It does dry my skin, but I have Solar Oil to help me :)

Latest posts

Back