Nails post Chemotherapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetty

Lost and happy geek!
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've received the following email and I'd like to know your opinions please.....

"I am emiling in the hope you may be able to help me. Im a Chemotherapy Nurse and I regulary give chemotheraoy that unfortunatly effects the nails to hand and feet. The nails become very brittle, very ridged and can often break and fall off. I am looking into treatments for nails following completion of chemo and was wondering if you had any suggestions to strengthen the nails or would your thoughts would be on a soft false nail extention.
If you could let me know that would be great. I can then pass the information on to many of my patients that are really looking for help."

I was planning to reply suggesting either manicures or Axxium Soak Off Gel Lacquer. Axxium requires no buffing of the natural nail and adds strength without sacrificing some flexibility....... I'm not sure I would recommend enhancements to people who are at risk of their nails breaking easily or coming off altogether but I would really like to be able to help people who must feel very low post chemo treatment.

Does that sound ok? I've not had any experience with this before, so wanted to check before I reply to her.

Many thanks,

I have been asked this question before. It really does depend on the individual. In some cases nails actually come off as well as thin during chemo. Not a good scenario if the person then blames the product. There is nothing in our products that will do harm. With Gelish you do not have to buff the nail 1st so can be a gentle but long lasting treatment with maybe structure gel to help give strength.

It will also cover ridges or other damage that may have been caused.

I would however stress that each person would have to be taken on individually. JMPOV

People have different responses to the vast variety of drugs used in chemotherapy and the effects can continue for a long time after the treatment has finished. Ridges are ok but nails can shed at worst and become very weak and thin. They may be too delicate to have anything on them.

There is a wonderful charity: Look Good Feel Better that your nurse friend should know about. They have a DVD that is free to all cancer patients with all sorts of help on there including homecare for nails (I know cos I did it)

You as a professional should take each client as an individual and bare in mind her progress in the treatment as the nails may still be changing

Thanks for your replies, you've given me some good guidance for me to reply to her.

:hug:

People have different responses to the vast variety of drugs used in chemotherapy and the effects can continue for a long time after the treatment has finished. Ridges are ok but nails can shed at worst and become very weak and thin. They may be too delicate to have anything on them.

There is a wonderful charity: Look Good Feel Better that your nurse friend should know about. They have a DVD that is free to all cancer patients with all sorts of help on there including homecare for nails (I know cos I did it)

You as a professional should take each client as an individual and bare in mind her progress in the treatment as the nails may still be changing

I have seen the DVD....is fab and covers a lot of beauty questions

I have been asked this question before. It really does depend on the individual. In some cases nails actually come off as well as thin during chemo. Not a good scenario if the person then blames the product. There is nothing in our products that will do harm. With Gelish you do not have to buff the nail 1st so can be a gentle but long lasting treatment with maybe structure gel to help give strength.

It will also cover ridges or other damage that may have been caused.

I would however stress that each person would have to be taken on individually. JMPOV
YES - I'M SHOUTING - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO CHECK THAT A CHEMO PATIENT ISN'T HAVING DRUGS THAT CAN CAUSE THEIR SKIN TO BE EXTREMELY LIGHT SENSITIVE - AS USING UV GEL WOULD BE CONTRAINDICATED.
Having been a cancer nurse for many years and now a nail tech - I wont use Gel on a chemo patient full stop unless I know what drugs they are having.

I agree that extreme care should be taken but will the individual know if they are light sensitive (presumably the answer is yes). Also, if you read Doug Schoon's information on UV lamps he compares the level of UV exposure of a nail lamp to the level of stepping out of your front door for a period of time

He also suggests that for clients that are specifically wary of UV exposure an SPF could be used.

I'm not suggesting that the new generation of gel polishes are the answer for everyone but they may suit some clients as they are an excellent protection for nails. As for everything, a technician must be knowledgeable and deal with every client individually

YES - I'M SHOUTING - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO CHECK THAT A CHEMO PATIENT ISN'T HAVING DRUGS THAT CAN CAUSE THEIR SKIN TO BE EXTREMELY LIGHT SENSITIVE - AS USING UV GEL WOULD BE CONTRAINDICATED.
Having been a cancer nurse for many years and now a nail tech - I wont use Gel on a chemo patient full stop unless I know what drugs they are having.
I think what we have been saying ? All depends on the individual. Ths is NOT general advice and every care must be taken by an EXPERIENCED tech. Doug is very up to speed on the science as is Mum

Latest posts

Back