Nails, Waxing, Eyes.. Where shall I start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POLO85

Reaction score
I am a complete Novice with no beauty exp. except for the treatments i do on myself and close friends...

I currently work as a solicitor 9-5 and have just got married, I plan to start a family in 2 years and thought this would be a good time to start looking at business ventures i can do around children.
I love the industry and think its probably my best bet to do somthing i love, but im stuck i have been reading Salon Geek and researching the net for a while now but cant seem to make up my mind on where to start, i have looked into the most reputable courses and believe it would be wise to invest in the training rather than do the cheap/college options..where people seemed to have had to re-train! 2 years will give me the time to build up my skills and let myself loose on the public...

For Nails the course ive decided on is CND... inc. Shellac and maybe Minx

For Eyes... the Nouveou group for extensions tint brows etc...

For Waxing... Kim Lawless... possibly lycon??

Where would you geeks recommend starting out? taking into consideration financial returns and what option is best for newbies ?

This is my first post so please be kind :o

You do sound as if you have done alot of research. Well done!

I would say maybe a good route to start off would be any really. Maybe manicures and pedicures and from there you could do shellac and ten concentrate on doing all your courses from there?

I'm sorry I'm really no use as I went to college and haven't done it individually so really couldn't say from my experience.

Depends on your area and what the demand is. I would suggest waxing as it is a regular treatment that women tend to treat as being necessary rather than a luxury, important in this economic climate.

After that I would say to do a manicure and pedicure course to incorporate Shellac or one of the other coloured gels or gel/polishes then follow that up with your eye treatments.

It really is a matter of the demand in your area though my darling as everywhere is so different. I have lived in 9 different cities and each have been different to the other in what people prioritise spending their money on. Your research has been excellent so far so just look into it a bit further and you will be laughing! :D

Thank you for your help guys... im still so confused though... if i had the space at home waxing would be a defo but i think for now, ill just have to wait until i have the space.. so its down to nails and Eyelash's!
If i do the eyelashes then ill have nouveaus marketing material and it would probably be easier to effectivly "sell" myself... living in Essex and having easy access to London there is a huge demand for it... However the down side is that not everyone readily has £75 odd to spend on eyelashes as its not really a necesity and when the going gets tough this may be a treatment people then forgo.. also with the nouveau baking with that client base built up i can extend to nails...

With the nails I would have to do alot more work selling the business, doing a website, utilising other means of marketing but i could possible do more nails as prices would be a lot cheaper.. i.e ranging from just £5 for paint up to £35+ for enhancments etc... and people are more likely to part with this money...

are there any nouveau lash trained geeks that also do nails? If so which is more popular and profitable? How long did it take to build your client base?

Latest posts

Back