Natural nail acrylic overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellac newbie

Reaction score
Hiya

I've for a client who was originally a shellac client whose nails got really long and loved it but they were too long so we've progressed to acrylic overlays.

She's av every 2 weeker and has had a couple of problems once when she stretched for 3 ( against my advice) and she caught the nail and split her nail plate (yes I winced too) and she gets lifting when she has them too long.

Last week I advised her they were long but she wanted them leaving long for an x mas party so I gave her the eyebrows
Lol but she wanted it and she's rang today with lifting.... So here's my question- I know extended nails shouldn't really be more than 1/3 but does this apply to natural nail overlays?
And is this why they are lifting because they are too long?

I always take problems to heart and when I rang her back she was like 'I know you wanted to file them down and you were right can u fit me in' so she does know but I hate her thinking bad of me.

She also asked about switching to gel (I used brisa lite sculpting gel once to fix over a break when she was a shellac Client) but I don't use sculpting gel at all really so don't want to be doing a full set and also..... I really don't want to soak the acrylics off as I'm rubbish at
It- when I do my own I end up with paper thin nails cause I loose my patience and butcher them and sounds daft but I'm not experienced enough
Yet with filing and angles so to get the acrylic
Left on and not the whole plate! I also don't think her nails will survive the
Soak off and if they do- I don't think shellac will keep them long :(

I know I should just say look
If you want long nails keep the acrylic overlays on but you need to
Have them filed down a bit regularly, if I soak them off I doubt you will be able to
Keep your length but I just feel like I'm making excuses :(

I used to wear my acrylic super long before I did nails and there was no lifting at all? Lifting isn't really down to length, but breakages may be. Lifting at the cuticle is down to prep and application and apex placement! The longer the nail the further back the apex needs to be to add strength!

I used to wear my acrylic super long before I did nails and there was no lifting at all? Lifting isn't really down to length, but breakages may be. Lifting at the cuticle is down to prep and application and apex placement! The longer the nail the further back the apex needs to be to add strength!

I do full prep with a curette and scrub fresh and cuticle away. Apex is still fine as only did them last week, they aren't just lifting they are coming away at the cuticle so when you press the tip the base lifts up off the nail and it's consistent across the bottom
Of the nail so it's not just one side :s

It's got to be the length cause it's same scenario every time she wants then long.

My nails are really long like over half an inch of free edge and they never so what hers do :s

I do full prep with a curette and scrub fresh and cuticle away. Apex is still fine as only did them last week, they aren't just lifting they are coming away at the cuticle so when you press the tip the base lifts up off the nail and it's consistent across the bottom
Of the nail so it's not just one side :s

It's got to be the length cause it's same scenario every time she wants then long.

My nails are really long like over half an inch of free edge and they never so what hers do :s

Hmmmm
Seems strange
Perhaps her nails are really oily or bendy then?
Do you deactivate your cuticle away?

Hmmmm
Seems strange
Perhaps her nails are really oily or bendy then?
Do you deactivate your cuticle away?

Yes. They are very bendy, that's why we did the overlay. I think she must be using cleaning products without gloves and it's causing a lift and cause they are so long it's lifting the whole nail. It's so weird that it's only when they get quite long as I file the apex out and re-place it X

Latest posts

Back