natural nail damaged - is this my fault?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuise.e

Reaction score
Hi - this has happeded 3 times now and I'm worried I'm doing something seriously wrong.
I bashed my nail (with l&p enhancement on) it really hurt. A few days later the enhancement lifted at the side and my finger still felt sore underneath.After removing the enhancement my own nail had split nearly all the way across, but far to high to cut and I kept catching it.I stuck a tip on really high up to cover the crack and finally after 3 weeks it's grown down almst to free edge and isn't sore (no longer have the enhancement on)
Anyway exactly the same thing has happened to 2 people whose nails I've done, I've removed the enhancement on the sore nails. They are both gutted coz they have a sore nail which is split about half way up.But I didn't want to put anything over it (it's only ok to butcher myself!)
Does this happen or is is to do with how I am applyng the product?I wondered if perhaps I was doing the stress area wrong and this could have assisted the damage??
They both had accidents which initially caused the damage - one on a kitchen cupboard and one from catching a child jumping off a kitchen worktop! which is better than saying "it just happened"

Suzie hun, what we apply is not indestructable and in these instances they were bashed quite hard so it's not your fault. However if this happens a lot to the same client then she has them too long for their lifestyle. If it happens to a lot of your clients then either you're not building your stress area quite right ( post a pic and we can let you know), or they are too long for all your clients.

Only thing I would have done differently is put a tip and overlay on their nails - just as you do to yours - to protect them.

Sassy Hassy said:
Suzie hun, what we apply is not indestructable and in these instances they were bashed quite hard so it's not your fault. However if this happens a lot to the same client then she has them too long for their lifestyle. If it happens to a lot of your clients then either you're not building your stress area quite right ( post a pic and we can let you know), or they are too long for all your clients.

Only thing I would have done differently is put a tip and overlay on their nails - just as you do to yours - to protect them.

Thanks Sass for your advice, they were actually quite short ( the lady I did the long ones for are still ok - I think she must live in a bubble!!) will try and take a pic when she comes back on Monday. I know some of the nails i have done looked too flat so have been trying to concentrate on getting the apex right - I wasn't sure re tipping and overlay would be ok, I only did it on myself to see what happened lol!

a split nail isn't a contraindication, only if it was very sore, ie too sore for them to allow you to file over. Otherwise they are going round with a split low down on their natural nail that they are more likely to catch if it isn;t covered up. HTH

Latest posts

Back