Natural nail white tip question?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
Morning all,

I have a relative who's natural nail is changing, I have researched to try and find the answer but as yet have not come up with any answers.

The white tip on her nails are getting bigger and seem to be taking over the whole nail. So if you can imagine looking at her nails they have gone from normal looking healthy nails with in proportion white to pink ratio to almost all white from the tip. It almost looks like the tips are growing down her nails.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what it could be?

Thanks

Hi there im very new to nails so dont quote on me this! lol sounds like could be oncholyosis not sure if thats right spelling! google it and you will see some pics. Im sure someone more experienced can help you out more than me though :D

It's spelt onycholysis and that's where the nail plate is coming away/separating from the nail bed. I'm just training and have just learnt about this. Has she had any physical trauma to the nail? Does she work with chemicals or have regular treatments on the nail?

A professional should be along in a mo. Any extra info you can give them will help. Do you have any pics? xx

yup... very impressive beccy! i was gonna get my text book out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

This does sound like Onycholysis and can be reversed if it has just began happening but if it has been there for a few years the chances are there will be a build up of scar tissue which prevents the Nail Plate and Nail Bed knitting back together.

This is as said nail plate separation and can have a few causes the most common is repeated trauma so for instance if her nails are to long and she is knocking them on a key board this will cause the separation.
Some people naturally get this condition when their nails get to a certain length, I have this and it only appears if they get to long.

Many runners also have this condition on their toes due the the constant knocking while running.

You need to make sure her nail is kept as short as possible, lower than the fingertip is advised.
Make sure she is using Solar Oil daily this will help the Nail Plate knit back together with the Nail Bed.
Hths
:hug:

yup... very impressive beccy! i was gonna get my text book out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Guess what I was revising last night....:D
Thank you Klassy Klaws, hope it helps op and I will certainly be writing this down xx

Latest posts

Back