Natural nails - cutting down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean by modern files and modern materials? There are lots of different types of files and lots of different types of materials.

I have an open mind and I am not being argumentative. Just asking a simple question because to me this needs more clarification. TY!

I'm sure you are aware that professional quality files and buffers are no longer made of paper with sand glued on the top. There are many different file materials now that we use in the industry ... Mylar being one of the most popular .. different oxides .. even glass; all of which in the suitable grit size do not tear up or shred the nail plate as the old sandpaper files did. As I said, they can even seal the free edge to protect it from layering and flaking when used in a back and forth motion. May I point you in the direction of Doug Schoon's book 'Nail Structure & Product Chemistry' which if you do not have a copy .. is a must for any inquiring professional?

Unfortunately many old teaching tomes have not caught up or been updated with the advances in nail technology ... so schools are still teaching the same old myths about files and procedures (from teaching manuals that are well out of date) that went 'out with the ark'.

One place where you will keep up dated is right here on salongeek. Here we do not allow misinformation or old information to be passed on ... many of the students of salongeek find that they are more advanced in their theory than their teachers!! That is why I encouraged you to keep an open mind ... right here is where you will learn the facts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back