Natural tips not workin' on my sis...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who's encouraged me with my practising so far! Did my sister's nails earlier, they worked better than my mum's as her nails are more neat and even (and oh-so-ickle...!), but have encountered a new problem with her...
The white colouring of her nail starts quite a long way down her nail bed... it looks perfectly OK, it actually means that her nails still look lovely even when they are very short, but it's caused me a problem with tipping. Having blended the tips on I can still see white through them, but I can't cut or file her nails any further back than they are without turning them into little nail-biter-style stubs.
I used midas tips on her, which did seem to be more sheer than the claws ones I've been using (decided not to get decent tips for now as I'm just mainly working on Harold....), but does this mean I will actually always have to use french tips on her so that you can't see the white through them? Or could I use MTW to put my smile line in so that it covers her natural one?
At the moment I am just applying pink over a tip as haven't been taught to use white acrylic and I know we won't cover sculpting..
Lol x

Hi there.

Congrats you have come across one of the 'problem' nails that as a nail tech you come across quite alot! (lets face it if people already have fabulous nails they aren't beating our door down are they!). I'm not sure what other techs do to combat this one but I use a masking pink powder, it is denser than a normal pink powder so covers up flaws alot easier, I've always used it with a permanent french look but I'm not aware of any reason you couldn't just use it as a pink overlay, which system are you using? check to see if they have a masking pink powder as part of their range. The first time this happened to me I hadn't a freakin clue what to do so you are lucky it's happened with your sister and not a client, now all you have to come across are fan shaped, spoon shaped, badly bitten and flat as a pancake nails! Agghhhh it never ends! Good luck hope this helps! J xx

I'm training with ONS... as far I know they only have one type of pink, but I may be wrong. Could the same effect be acheived by mixing their pink with a bit of one of their coloured powders in a pale pink to create a denser colour, or maybe this would just make too solid a colour....
Talking of fan nails etc.... is there a book anywhere that has actual photos of these types of nails? I have the Elaine Almond book but I find that line drawings make things much more obvious/easier to see than a photo. For example, my own nails are not parallel from cuticle to free edge, they do widen, but at the same time I wouldn't actually call them fan shaped.. Would love to see some photo examples so I have a more 'real' idea of what they'd look like.
Lol x

I believe you can mix certain coloured pink powders in to make a denser pink yes, I'm not sure what ONS's coloured powders are but I know there are quite a few of them so there must be one that works in there!!

As for a good book then I can highly recommend Mariane Newmans 'The Complete Nail Technician' 1 and 2, there are some great sections of this sort of problem nail and how to combat them. J x

Hi There,

If you can see the free edge of your sis's nails through, then have you tried using flawless pink powder, by creative? It is a more dense peachy/pink, which covers imperfections on the nail bed, but it does look a little more "false" than using a nautural pinky powder? Try this as i use it on clients with bitten nails who a desperate for the p+w look and it works a treat. Also cant you use a sheer polish over the top to disguise them a little if you cannot get hold of the flawless pink?

Hope this is of some help to you.

Michelle x

I know exactly what you mean.. my sister in law has the same.. the free edge does not extend over the end of your fingertip..(short nail beds- i really envy folk with lovely long nail beds and good side walls) mine are the same(when i dont have stumps)so when you blend you get like a shadow of the free edge...I cheat even more by airbrushing a french on with a pink... have you tried an american french polish even? you can buy them in sallys etc.. however .. really the rest of the girls are right flawless pink is the best answer

Latest posts

Back