Natural tone added to naturally white hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dales nails

Reaction score
Hi guys following on from my other thread. Iv got my mil hair this afternoon. She is naturally pure white and wants only around 6 weaved foils around herr parting. Her target shade is 12/0 so still wants it very light but with a slightly warmer natural tone but not too gold. Im still unsure on what to use. Iv tried test pieces on bleach 3% which was v translucent, 10/3 and a little 10/0 not much change , 10/3 on its own still very light but with a v gold hue. I was thinking of goin for 9/3 and a little 99/0? But still want it to appear light but not overly warm. She doesn't want it overly noticeable just to replicate what the sun naturally does in the summer, which she feels is a few natural light strands through her parting ala 12/0 shade. So any suggestions guys I'm really torn on what to use.xxx

well i ended up going to put the foils in my mil hair in my lunch break today. I ended up ringing the wella technical support line for a little advice and we decided on using half and half of 99/0 and 9/03 6%. i explained to mil it wasnt going to be anything drastic, and she said thats what she wanted v subtle. i managed to talk her into having a few more foils as i was concerned they would get lost as she only wanted 5 or 6 foils dotted round her parting, i put rouughly 11 fine weaved foils around her parting. As it was in my lunch break the agreement was she would wash it off , has she looks after my little girl 1 day a week whilst i work i had to pick my daughter up tonight from work. when i picked her up it was dark and my mil only has lamps on so it was v difficult to see her hair properly. It didnt look v noticable at all from what i could see, but she never even mentioned her hair, thanked me or anything. So it has seriously knocked my confidence i have been hairdressing 13 years now and i feel my confidence draining out of me slowly esp now im part time after having my little girl.i used to be so confident esp with my colouring. I just knew this would happen with my mil that is why i was so nervous doing it, and now i just feel like sh!t and embarressed. i feel like i should have done more foils and probs alternated with 8/03. just dont know how to bring it up with her and feel like a failure. my hubby is still at work he popped to his mums tonight so i dont know if she has said anything to him . sorry about the life story just wanted to let it out. feel like ive put so much thought and effort into doing her hair and all to feel like a failure.:(:o

Don't beat yourself up, less is more as far as I'm concerned. If you do to much there's no going back, but at least you can add to it. I don't use Wella, but I have a lady who's 80% grey I'd say, I colour hers all over with LK colour 10/7 with is a warm beige blonde and it looks lovely, i am however trying to get her to go darker by one level, but her roots hardly show. Why don't you try something more creamy/beige rather than a gold tone and just do more of them.

By the way does she pay you for this?

thanks hun, no she doesnt pay me, but i dont pay her for looking after my little girl whilst at work so i dont mind. its the first time iv ever done her hair, her sister usually does it who did a bit of a hairdressing course 40 odd years or more ago:( but she doesnt usually have colour. Im always a little wary of beige colours on white hair incase of the pinky tone you sometimes get. it probs would have looked lovely as a all over colour but this is just not a option she wants. it made it worse that she only wanted a few hilights, and with it only being a slight colour change you always run the risk of the hilites getting "lost" i think reading between the lines she wanted it to be a little more noticable. its just bloomin awkward now i dont know how to broach it with her. shes having my little girl tomorrow aswell as im working extra days with the xmas rush, so i have to face her and dont know what to say. Im just a little upset she didnt say anything to me. confidence in tatters at mo.:o

hi, oh dont let this get you down, how many happy clients leave your salon everyday? you cant please everyone! I think you done the right thing by not making it too bright as she would have been horrified by the sounds of it. So you went for the safe option which is easy enough to make brighter rather than trying to tone it down!

2moro can go 2 ways you ask her how she feels with the col? or if you dont think it bright enough be honest and explain its easy enough to lift it a little if she would prefer that.. sorry rubbish at saying what im thinking lol

Be honest and be confident x

If when you see her your not happy with it Just be relaxed and happy and and say, you need more/different colour in your hair, I'l pop some more in for you. It'l not take you long to whack some in and you will feel happier. Mind you, you might like it ! Dont worry bout her not thanking you, mil's and lots of others dont see hair as a bit deal and dont see the hard work and stress it causes, She'd prob forgot she'd even had it done ! x

Thanks for all your kind words. think just feeling a little down and and the whole situation as got on top of me. My confidence seems to have hit a bit of a low and ive obviously taken it to heart. If it was a client i would have felt more in control of the situation and my choices for certain. i think all my logic and knowledge has gone out the window with it being my mil. she is a funny person who i always find highly critical and very very opinionated much to my annoiance. I always have felt she has looked down on me and my career since i first went mobile when i got together with my hubby. so i was determined to feel like i did a good job of her hair and now i just feel like ive failed, sad i know! I will see if my hubby says anything about her hair when he returns from work. It makes me cringe to think she may have been slagging my work off to him. :o:o again sad i know i seriously need a kick up the ar$e!!!

how did it go today?

I'd have used 99/0 prob :hug:
It's pretty weird she never mentioned it, but maybe she thought you'd ask her and maybe she loved it really but forgot all about it?:hug:xx

Latest posts

Back