Natwest Nightmare !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_lucy

Reaction score
I applied for a loan with Natwest (my bank for 20 years !!) 2 weeks ago, and now they have come back to me saying they want wage slips - they have seen i get paid each and every month for godknows how many years - i have made a formal complaint and have literally spent HOURS on the phone - anyone else had any problems with them ? It wouldnt be so annoying but this loan is to pay for my training ... grrrr ... if its not there tomorrow morning i think i will have a nervous breakdown ! :evil:

e_lucy said:
I applied for a loan with Natwest (my bank for 20 years !!) 2 weeks ago, and now they have come back to me saying they want wage slips - they have seen i get paid each and every month for godknows how many years - i have made a formal complaint and have literally spent HOURS on the phone - anyone else had any problems with them ? It wouldnt be so annoying but this loan is to pay for my training ... grrrr ... if its not there tomorrow morning i think i will have a nervous breakdown ! :evil:

sorry wouldn't it have been quicker to just send them the wage slips..?? sometimes i think you just have to go with it...however annoying it may seem..they have a system to follow and even though we may not agree with it really there isn't alot we can do....i think its good that they want to see wage slips and do lots of checks as they would soon be blasted for lending without first making sure its affordable to you...and that you arnt getting into something that you have trouble getting out off....its just protocol hun...send them the slips and wait for your fat chq...lol xx

if the loan is for training, u may do better to open a business account (im assuming that you have a current personal account?)
when u have a business a/c you will be able to get overdrafts and loans slightly easier.
i've also been with nat west for 20yrs+, and have had good and bad experiences.
the only thing i would say is your bank is only as good as your bank manager.
i have a good one at the moment, but the good ones enevitably get head hunted to bigger branches!
i wish you luck
x

e_lucy said:

Don't even get me started on problems with Natwest (or Shatwest as we now call them!!!).
When we bought our house two years ago, it was easier for the mortgage to be in hubby's name, as I'm self employed, and then add my name to mortgage after the move which we did. Anyhoo, we've just asked Natwest if we can re-mortgage house to release some equity for new kitchen and bathroom....we applied for this 6 weeks ago and my god it's just been one stress after the other, but the final straw came today when it was discovered that I'm not on the mortgage after all!!!!!! despite having paid all the extra legal fees and stamp duty back in 2004.:eek: :evil: :cry:

I don't think you'll be the only Natwest customer to end up in the lonny bin.

It's not only Natwest - I think that all banks are the same. My bank wouldn't give me a loan because they said:-

I have too much money in my savings account - why didn't I use my savings?

That maintenance isn't acccepted as an income - ummm I'm not divorced - my hubby is sat there at the desktop computer - don't think its a ghost (my hubby transfers me £500 a month into my account for the telewest bill and for incidentals)

When asked what she meant - maintenance - she said you receive £500 a month from your ex husband Mr Colin Russell so we won't consider you for a loan- when I said I was still married to him, she wouldn't believe me:irked:

I had a terrible time with the natwest and so did my mum. Its too long to go into but I have accounts with 3 other banks but never been treated in the same way with them

Well - I have some good news ... the loan was mysteriously in my bank this morning - amazing what happens when you make a formal complaint isnt it ? So now I can go and get my courses (and also treat myself to a few new clothes ... ohh the excitement ! :D

Thanks for all your comments - its good im not the only one, for any of you having problems I found a "customer complaints" number, they hide it in the small print at the back of their information leaflet, the lady i spoke to was very helpful and it seems to get things moving -

If i find the number (as i said its VERY small) i shall post it here - give them a call, especially the poor lady with the mortgage problems - thats absolutely TERRIBLE ... AND they told someone to "spend their savings" havent they ever heard of having a nest egg for a rainy day? My god - i think this was my main problem with them, they were far too intrested in my personal life - and not at all intrested in the fact i passed the credit score and can afford to pay the loan ... grrr !

Anyway, off to work (joy) Lucy x

I love Natwest!

Our whole family has personal and business accounts with them!

I applied for a loan three years ago and it was approved and have renewed it three times since. Never had a problem!

I find their standard of customer service absolutely brilliant and they do anything to help us.

I would still send a copy of the pay slips as the payment was probably going through anyway. They have probably forgotten to ask you in the first place for them, it wouldnt stop your loan coming through if you've passed the credit score but they do need these things on file.
I used to work for them and they needed copies of my pay slips when I applied for a staff loan, so I think its just procedure.
You might find they chase you for them.

Snugglepuss said:
It's not only Natwest - I think that all banks are the same.

I wouldn't say that. I bank with First Direct and they are the best bank in the world !

I have never had any problems with them and their service is FAB. When you call their call centre, they ALWAYS answer the phone in 3 rings. You never speak to a machine, always to a person.

When you apply for a loan / mortgage / credit card whatever, everything happens over the phone and you get a decision instantly, yes, instantly !

When I bought my car 6 years ago, I called them 2 o'clock in the morning asking if they would give me a loan. 2 min later the loan was approved and I had the money in my account by 02:30am that morning !

Not all banks are the same, but I aslo agree, if you are not happy with the service you receive, do complain about it and if this is a ongoing problem, change banks ! You get nothing for being loyal these days, so just move.

River

well i used to bank with natwest, had my own account and when I met my hubby we opened a joint account. Eventually my own account was just not getting used and as I already had my own account with HSBC as well, I decided to close it. Sent them a letter about 6 weeks before we went to devon on holiday, and then forgot about it as I didnt use the account anyway. The day before we were due to come home from devon we had both been paid so I went to get some money out to fill the car up. Card wouldnt work, and was retained by the machine. Mark went and the same happened. I called natwest and they had closed our joint account as well, even though there was 2500 in! They said I would have to go to my own branch and make a formal request to get them to release my own money! So we were stuck in devon with nowt! luckily marks parents were staying in devon too so we found them and borrowed some cash, but as we were coming home on saturday we couldnt get to the bank till monday - what a nightmare. They took 2 working days to give me the money back and said they closed the account as it had my name on, and so did the other one. What a crap excuse, this was a JOINT account! They never apologised either.

That maintenance isn't acccepted as an income - ummm I'm not divorced - my hubby is sat there at the desktop computer - don't think its a ghost (my hubby transfers me £500 a month into my account for the telewest bill and for incidentals)

When asked what she meant - maintenance - she said you receive £500 a month from your ex husband Mr Colin Russell so we won't consider you for a loan- when I said I was still married to him, she wouldn't believe me:irked:

this really annoys me! My husband pays a LOT of child support for his 2 children, when we applied for a mortgage they took into account that he paid it out every month even though it wasnt a court order, fair enough, but they wouldnt take into account the money I received (dont anymore) from my Ex husband!!! Surely it should work both ways if they are going to take it into account??? :evil:

Well I worked for NatWest for 16 years and I couldn't wait to leave !! Moved bank as soon as possibly could to First Direct and they are fab. Customer service is second to none !

e_lucy said:
I remember I aked them for a loan when I first moved to London c20 years ago. I had been with them for year and they were so long-winded about it that I told them not to bother that I'd probably get a loan from the Social Security easier!

Latest posts

Back