Need help/advice, cutting a 2 year old’s hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disneyprincess1999

Reaction score
Okay so I am a qualified level 3 hairdresser,, am when I cut my nephews hair (he is 2) he screams like he is in agony , I have never cut him and he has always been in the room when I have cut his dads hair and his grandads so it’s not as if he is new to seeing it, the first few times I done it he was fine then all of a sudden he hated it ??
I use scissors on the top and then clippers on the sides but he screams as soon as I cut his hair with scissors (I do that first )
I really need help as I hate cutting his hair but he really needs it done ,, can anyone suggest anything I can do, I have tried playing a film , giving him a phone to play with doing it whilst he is playing and nothing seems to work .

Okay so I am a qualified level 3 hairdresser,, am when I cut my nephews hair (he is 2) he screams like he is in agony , I have never cut him and he has always been in the room when I have cut his dads hair and his grandads so it’s not as if he is new to seeing it, the first few times I done it he was fine then all of a sudden he hated it ??
I use scissors on the top and then clippers on the sides but he screams as soon as I cut his hair with scissors (I do that first )
I really need help as I hate cutting his hair but he really needs it done ,, can anyone suggest anything I can do, I have tried playing a film , giving him a phone to play with doing it whilst he is playing and nothing seems to work .

i do a lot of kids from babies upwards, it's just one of those things, soon enough they realise it's got to be done and they get on with it and enjoy it. lots of bribery, calming words, i let children 'help' me by holding a brush, neck brush, comb or a clip xx

I’ve had this a few times and all I can say is eventually they do grow out of it!! Only this week I had two of my little screamers booked in and for no apparent reason they were both little angels this time!! [emoji56][emoji56]
Baby Sitting on mums lap , Parents bribing with favourite toy , sweets , tv show, me kneeling on the floor with them in a baby chair all can help , but if they aren’t in the mood nothing works [emoji23]
Getting it done and over with as quickly as possible Is probably the best idea, so simple quick styles until they are happier to sit still for longer.

Its not something that has got to be done... Let him grow his hair out, eventually, he will go to school and come back asking to have his hair all cut off. Otherwise you end up like me, a hairdresser who is terrified of hairdressers. You may think he needs a haircut and it looks better after, but he may have different ideas(i know i did). its 2017, almost 2018, there are no ways in which a little boy "MUST" wear their hair

Its not something that has got to be done... Let him grow his hair out, eventually, he will go to school and come back asking to have his hair all cut off. Otherwise you end up like me, a hairdresser who is terrified of hairdressers. You may think he needs a haircut and it looks better after, but he may have different ideas(i know i did). its 2017, almost 2018, there are no ways in which a little boy "MUST" wear their hair
Not necessarily, I have a little boy I do with autism and when his hair is long he pulls chunks out at night and mum finds clumps of hair and bald patches in the morning in his bed. In the past I’ve followed around, laid on floor, went round for playtime first. Try to make it fun.. sit in front of telly, favourite treats. It does take awhile but they do get used to it. Telly works wonders for me.

Let them think they are helping and give them something to hold xx

Let them think they are helping and give them something to hold xx
I have tried this it works for a few moments but then he just goes back to screaming

Not necessarily, I have a little boy I do with autism and when his hair is long he pulls chunks out at night and mum finds clumps of hair and bald patches in the morning in his bed. In the past I’ve followed around, laid on floor, went round for playtime first. Try to make it fun.. sit in front of telly, favourite treats. It does take awhile but they do get used to it. Telly works wonders for me.
We have to keep my nephews hair short cause he grabs and pulls at it when he is stressed or angry [emoji17]

We have to keep my nephews hair short cause he grabs and pulls at it when he is stressed or angry [emoji17]
Perhaps dont Use the clippers, the noise and sensation can be startling for them. I think it helps I do it in my salon, when they’re at home there’s too many distractions and they feel like they are at home, coming to a place where they get their hair cut helps separate it. It usually takes a few goes but eventually they walk in and go ooo i get CBeebies and biscuits lol xxxx

I hate cutting young children's hair but I do my own son who was a wriggler when he was younger. I used to give him my iPad to watch cartoons on and he'd be busy concentrating on them, so he wouldn't pay much attention to what I was doing.

Must admit, I'd only use clippers because despite the noise, you're unlikely to chop their ear off.

I hate cutting young children's hair but I do my own son who was a wriggler when he was younger. I used to give him my iPad to watch cartoons on and he'd be busy concentrating on them, so he wouldn't pay much attention to what I was doing.

Must admit, I'd only use clippers because despite the noise, you're unlikely to chop their ear off.
My fingers are always a guard so it tends to be my fingers rather than their ears

My fingers are always a guard so it tends to be my fingers rather than their ears

Exactly! I'm certainly not going to risk cutting myself for someone else's benefit. :eek:

I always think its better not to try and force them to wear a gown as I find that can upset them
If they wriggle and move I don’t mind that , but I always tell parents if they get upset I would rather stop , As trying to force them by parents clamping their head only stresses them further and they will refuse to cooperate next time
I find it best to keep it simple and just do a quick tidy up , rather than trying to create an elaborate hairstyle on a toddler

Latest posts

Back