Need some advice about training!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanie

Reaction score
OK, so I've just qualified after completing my L2 City & Guilds Diploma in Beauty Therapy which covers:

Manicure, pedicure, facials (using Dermalogica), eye treatments including perming, waxing, sugaring, ear piercing (lol) and Anatomy & Physiology.

I had applied to do my L3 City & Guilds Diploma for this coming september but was given conflicting info about what exactly the course would include e.g. They were thinking about combining the TWO separate courses (Beauty and Body) but confirmation has not been given as to whether the course is even being funded??!

The actual list of things included in the L3 course is:

Facial & body electrical
Epilation
Anatomy & Physiology
Massage

The dilemma I have is that the above course will cost me well over £2000 and I can honestly say the only thing which will be of any benefit to me will be the massage. The things I actually want to learn are:

Tanning
Eyelash extensions
Advanced waxing
Nail systems (gel or acrylic)
Massage

Would it be better to scrap the course and do the individual training courses for the things I want to learn or is it absolutely necessary and desirable to be L3 qualified??

Soooooo confused! HELP! x

Anyone?? :cry: x

Looking at the info you have detailed I personally would think you will be better off doing individuals, but this is only my opinion. It all depends on how you want your career to progress. If you are looking for a salon or spa job then you may well be better off doing a level 3 qualification.

But you can look around at other level 3 providers to see what they are including as I know our local college has changed their content a lot over the last couple of years. In relation to funding, I have been advised that funding for all level 3 courses is being withdrawn, but this may be dependant on your age (I think it is to do with the new diploma system).

If you decide to do separate courses you will be required to do a full anatomy & physiology course to support the massage. hth

Thanks Helen :) Thats what I thought, I have no plans to get a salon or spa job I'm hoping to go mobile and build my own client base from that, with a view to eventually setting up my own salon.

I just don't know which is the best route to follow, the courses in my area are all through the same provider unless I go further afield (not possible for me) and they all seem to be hideously expensive in comparison to other colleges around the country.

I (luckily) obtained my L2 through the adult entitlement but had heard it was being stopped for any L3 courses. Unfortunately, because I'm over 19, I have limited options with regards to funding. I don't mind doing separate courses for the individual things and this would be easier for me financially anyway!

Would the anatomy & physiology I've already completed be taken into account when doing a full A&P course for the massage or is it a case of starting from scratch?

Latest posts

Back