Need some good advice with nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
please help, I am at my wits end today, I would have posted this to my blog, but I don't find I get any replies there. Some of you may know that I lost my job back in January, and due to some circumstances at home my husband and I decided that it was time to look at launching my salon career again as this has continually taken a back seat to my full time job, but is my dream. I trained on the foundation L&P course with CND back in 2006, did spa manicure and spa pedicure with them and a 1 day gel seminar with LCN. No training since. I have been trying my best to organise training since then but there is no CND educator in Alberta and my supplier does not have anyone either and does not offer any kind of support - most of the time they don't even have the products I need. I have been waching videos on CND.com and following Holly (the fingernail fixer). My business has picked up over the last week and I have clients in every day this week but my services are dreadful. Last night I did a Shellac french manicure with a Brisa lite repair to one finger and it took me 2 hours. Then on top of the time it took, the nails looked awful, I couldn't get the white on, it looked patchy and wasn't straight. I have been practicing today and no matter how strictly I follow Holly's video I cannot get it right. I feel that I need some one on one support, but there is none here. Holly very kindly found me a one day Brisa lite and shellac course in British Columbia which is the closest training to me, but is 10 hours away and with flights and all is going to cost $500 for 1 day of training. Alternatively I can pay just under $1000 and go to a different supplier here in Alberta and do a foundation course with LCN. At least then I will have some support and guidance near by, but I have hundreds of dollars worth of CND equipment and product and I really love their stuff. What should I do, more training? switch brands? More practice? more unhappy clients? (I have one from Friday that has complained and I have to redo her service)give up? I am so wound up and upset that I am sure this is affecting my practice too. Should I just walk away today?

Don't give up!!!
If this is your dream, then make it happen:)

Now I can see that you need support and you love CND and I would suggest trying to stick with CND but if this is not possible due to your location, then it's not possible but before jumping ship to LCN, have you fully checked out LCN and exactly what training they offer, exactly what type of support they offer after training, all the LCN products you wish to use (trial kits are a good way to test out products) and if you can get LCN products at ease when and if you need them.
If it turns out that it's going to be a battle with LCN too, then I would stick with CND due to already having training with them and products.
Our work is hard and requires practice, there is no way you can expect to have training back in 2006 and not do much/any work/practice since then and then in 2013 expect to pick up a brush and be great, you must practice, practice and practice and you will eventually get the swing of things again.
In regards to clients, do NOT reduce your prices but explain to them that you are re-entering this field and you are a bit rusty and technically in "training" all over again and ask for patience from your clients and in between time, get yourself a nail trainer hand and practice your little heart out.
If you do not let your clients know this and give them the impression you are fully up to scratch and then offer not so great work, then this will ruin your business/reputation before it even starts, you need to be honest with them.
But in saying this, this doesn't mean you have to tell them you feel your work is bad or when they leave the salon say things like "now, if you have any problems, just call me and I will fix them" this is just setting yourself up for that dreaded call.

Is saving up for a while to go to the CND course an option?
Do you have enough product in between time to keep working and make some money to help towards the costs?

Only you can make the final decision about which brand to use and this will depend on many factors, just think hard about it, do your research, look at your financial options and then make a decision from there.

Don't give up!!!
If this is your dream, then make it happen:)

Now I can see that you need support and you love CND and I would suggest trying to stick with CND but if this is not possible due to your location, then it's not possible but before jumping ship to LCN, have you fully checked out LCN and exactly what training they offer, exactly what type of support they offer after training, all the LCN products you wish to use (trial kits are a good way to test out products) and if you can get LCN products at ease when and if you need them.
If it turns out that it's going to be a battle with LCN too, then I would stick with CND due to already having training with them and products.
Our work is hard and requires practice, there is no way you can expect to have training back in 2006 and not do much/any work/practice since then and then in 2013 expect to pick up a brush and be great, you must practice, practice and practice and you will eventually get the swing of things again.
In regards to clients, do NOT reduce your prices but explain to them that you are re-entering this field and you are a bit rusty and technically in "training" all over again and ask for patience from your clients and in between time, get yourself a nail trainer hand and practice your little heart out.
If you do not let your clients know this and give them the impression you are fully up to scratch and then offer not so great work, then this will ruin your business/reputation before it even starts, you need to be honest with them.
But in saying this, this doesn't mean you have to tell them you feel your work is bad or when they leave the salon say things like "now, if you have any problems, just call me and I will fix them" this is just setting yourself up for that dreaded call.

Is saving up for a while to go to the CND course an option?
Do you have enough product in between time to keep working and make some money to help towards the costs?

Only you can make the final decision about which brand to use and this will depend on many factors, just think hard about it, do your research, look at your financial options and then make a decision from there.

Thank you for the kind words. I have a nail trainer and am practicing daily, but I feel like I am doing things wrong and without someone to help me correct it or bounce things off then I am just going to keep practicing"wrong"

I did a one day gel seminar back in 2006 with LCN, I know that they are very reputable and yes the training academy here offers lots of support and has all their products in stock. I have found another option which is a public beauty school here in Calgary that is offering a 5 week artificial nails course in the evenings starting April 8th. They use the OPI kit for the course but as with many colleges you are free to use the products you chose after graduating. The course covers all the systems and is much more reasonably priced than the private one with a lot more hours put in. I wonder if this would give me the guidance and support I need while I still continue to use CND products in my salon.

I agree DO NOT give up!! If I could look back on the first nails i did when I was training I would probably be horrified!! But when something is your dream it means you have a true passion for it and you shouldn't let lack of training crush your dreams!!
The main thing you need is practise, practise and more practise!! Get friends, family, old work colleagues, everyone and anyone who is willing to lend there fingers and toes for your training purposes!!
Try different technics i.e. have you ever used a dotting tool? This tool is amazing for giving you a perfect french manicure!! And you know what if its not perfect get a small brush, tidy up any messy areas and create a beautiful smile line!!
I understand it must be really hard if there's no training available where you are but would you be able to even speak to a CND ambassador over the phone to ask about any issues you are having and that way you could at least get any questions answered about the services you are already trained in?
Hope this helps a little!!

this happened to me l gave up i was ill with worring all the time really made me ill an l know you have to practice but l was still spending money on stuff all the time

Thank you for the kind words. I have a nail trainer and am practicing daily, but I feel like I am doing things wrong and without someone to help me correct it or bounce things off then I am just going to keep practicing"wrong"

I did a one day gel seminar back in 2006 with LCN, I know that they are very reputable and yes the training academy here offers lots of support and has all their products in stock. I have found another option which is a public beauty school here in Calgary that is offering a 5 week artificial nails course in the evenings starting April 8th. They use the OPI kit for the course but as with many colleges you are free to use the products you chose after graduating. The course covers all the systems and is much more reasonably priced than the private one with a lot more hours put in. I wonder if this would give me the guidance and support I need while I still continue to use CND products in my salon.

That'a girl:) keep your chin up:)

If this 5 week course is something you feel good about, then go for it.
It might be just what you need to tweak your skills back on track.
If you find you need more later, then aim towards this.
It's better be doing something rather than nothing and OPI haven't got the worst reputation around and they aren't bad on the scale of things, so if this is what you feel you can achieve right now, go for it.

You should be loving what you do and enjoying using such great products.

Holly's videos are so clear that I quite honestly can't see how you would get more from a class in terms of a demonstration? There is so much on line support and so many support tools from CND ... More so than almost anyone else, that surely it must be of use to you?

For half the cost (and anxiety of making a switch to something unknown) I'd take the CND class on offer .... 6 years is a long time to go without training especially as CND have brought out so many new things in that time.

I also would be happy to mentor you along with guiding you in the right direction and I'm pretty easy to get a hold of! Lol. Just pm me and let's see where that goes.

Your issues seem to be one of timing and getting the finished result you want and perhaps supply, although I would think the last could be resolved with good planning. Let me know and I'll be happy to help. With both Holly and me on your case it should be of some benefit. X

Thanks Geeg. I have pm'd you. I'd love some mentoring!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back