Need to let a member of staff go

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
I have taken on a few girls to help me out. One of them is just finishing her 2nd month with me but she just isn't good enough. I just don't know what to say when I tell her I don't want her to work with me anymore. Any hardened employers that can offer some advice? I don't want to crush the girl but she's simply not improved enough for me to keep carrying her and is costing me money. Any advice welcome x

Is she on a trial period? Is there any sort of contract in place?
At this stage, it's easy to let someone go, just write a letter explaining that her employment hasn't worked out as you'd hoped, therefore, her employment will be terminated in accordance with her contract.
Sacking people is horrible, but part of being an employer. Brace yourself.

Have you given her guidance on her way? I think 8 weeks is a short period to hope for someone to be able to bring in an amount of money. I'd reckon three months is enough time. Could you not say that she has another four weeks to improve?

Carry out a review, log everything and try to be positive. Ask if there are any concerns and how well she feels she is doing. She maybe oblivious and think she is doing fine. Based on your review extend her trial period for how many weeks you feel relevant then take it from there.

Debbie

Have you given her guidance on her way? I think 8 weeks is a short period to hope for someone to be able to bring in an amount of money. I'd reckon three months is enough time. Could you not say that she has another four weeks to improve?

Thank you for your comments. Good to see it from another side.

But the problem is she costs me money. I have had to redo 5 sets. In 2 1/2 years I've only redone 3 and 2 of those weren't because of anything I did but clients being too heavy handed and not following aftercare.

I have tried to give additional training, let her borrow the kit to take home and practice. Offered advice on how to improve and there is no difference at all really. I had NO support (except this forum) when i first started! Everything I learnt was by spending hours trawling posts. She just doesn't have the same passion. It's just a job to her.

The other girl I have taken on is 100 times more pro active and although has only done 3 sets, her work is miles better.

I can't afford to pay her to sit with a half empty diary and then the few that she does may need to be redone or they just don't come back.

I'm fully booked for a reason and none of my existing clients will switch and I don't have enough confidence in her work to let new people go to her. I pick the clients that I know have strong nails o she can't get it too wrong. All the sets I've redone I've asked for honest feedback from the clients. They're all regulars so I know how long their nails should last. Feedback wasn't good.

The whole point of me taking on staff was to take the pressure off me and free up some time to eat and/or sleep. I'm working twice as hard now and getting into debt because I'm carrying someone.

It was my mistake taking her on. I wasn't sure at the time but she was the best out of those that applied. She's a nice enough girl, but her work isn't good enough. It really is as simple as that,

Ok I see your point.

Just say it's not working out. Give her her weeks notice. I don't get people like that who are not willing to work to improve. Strange.

But the problem is she costs me money. I have had to redo 5 sets. In 2 1/2 years I've only redone 3 and 2 of those weren't because of anything I did but clients being too heavy handed and not following aftercare.

I have tried to give additional training, let her borrow the kit to take home and practice. Offered advice on how to improve and there is no difference at all really. I had NO support (except this forum) when i first started! Everything I learnt was by spending hours trawling posts. She just doesn't have the same passion. It's just a job to her.

The other girl I have taken on is 100 times more pro active and although has only done 3 sets, her work is miles better.

I can't afford to pay her to sit with a half empty diary and then the few that she does may need to be redone or they just don't come back.

I'm fully booked for a reason and none of my existing clients will switch and I don't have enough confidence in her work to let new people go to her. I pick the clients that I know have strong nails o she can't get it too wrong. All the sets I've redone I've asked for honest feedback from the clients. They're all regulars so I know how long their nails should last. Feedback wasn't good.

The whole point of me taking on staff was to take the pressure off me and free up some time to eat and/or sleep. I'm working twice as hard now and getting into debt because I'm carrying someone.

It was my mistake taking her on. I wasn't sure at the time but she was the best out of those that applied. She's a nice enough girl, but her work isn't good enough. It really is as simple as that,

tell her your sorry but things haven't worked out and then put up your prices.

tell her your sorry but things haven't worked out and then put up your prices.

I did put my prices up! They still keep coming!!! I'm more expensive than both salons where I live.

Ok I see your point.

Just say it's not working out. Give her her weeks notice. I don't get people like that who are not willing to work to improve. Strange.

I'm just going to have to be strong. Stick to the point and let her go. A weeks pay seems like a nice gesture. Thank you x

No problem. It's not nice letting anyone go.

It sounds as if you've tried your best with her. Go with your gut instinct and bid farewell.

Debbie

Just say you've decided to terminate the probation period as you don't think this is the right salon for her.

Don't get into too much conversation as then they say you haven't allowed enough time.

I've just had to do this, I spoke to the boy twice regarding 'having blinkers' on in the salon. He caused a few other issues too.

I terminated the probation on the grounds of it happened again (3 time in 2 months ). I didn't even raise the other issues to avoid a debate or any come back. I ended the conversation on ' we are looking for people who want to build careers, I think you just want a job'.

I had too many niggles, like having your coat on 10mins before you go home and shooting out the door. Showed NO interest in the trade, only spoke about money or holiday or complained about something.

The atmosphere changed dramatically, and then everyone could see why I'd done it- at first they thought it was a bit harsh.

Turns out he was telling other that senior members of staff including myself didn't like him- yawn!!!

I think you need to be blunt in the situation. I dont mean be horrible but be nice and straight up at the same time. Tell her why it hasnt work out and where she could be improving her skills. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:

However much she's costing you now, it doesn't compare to how much she'll cost you if you just sack her without following protocol. If she's within a trial period have a review and extend as previously suggested.

If she is outside of her review then you will need to hold a meeting and discuss the situation, going through the verbal and written warnings. Speak to ACAS but if someone just out of the blue sacked me, redoing a set of nails and my half empty diary would be the least of your worries! :)

I'd sit her down and speak go her and just explain the situation.

For eg.. Kirsty i just want to get together with you to reflect on your time working here for me. How do you feel like you have done? Etc

Then maybe say I feel like the time you have spent here you've just accepted it as a job and not a career. I am looking for a more enthusiastic person who has a passion for their work and wants to strive to the top. I don't feel like your putting the effort in to do that!

I'm sorry it's come to this but I am going to have to let you go. I will give you a weeks notice (paid) I wish you all the best in your future and do hope that you will come back and visit the salon etc and we'll always offer you a 10% discount or something like that??

Hopefully gives you an idea??
Don't feel guilty about it at the end of the day your trying to run a business and you want someone that is going to help so that and not cost you more x

Latest posts

Back