Need you help geeks ! employment law/holiday entitlement question !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VICKYBROOKES

Reaction score
hi there geeks , i went for an interview yesterday , just for a part time job working 8 hrs at the weekend whilst im still studying . Thing is the manager said that i would recieve no paid holiday , she said they used to give it to staff but have since found out that they have to work over 9 hrs a week to get it . is this true ?At my old job we used to pay staff holiday even if they only worked 4 hrs a week . I can' t seem to find the info anywhere on the net about the 9hr rule . I have however seen evidence that they must pay holiday pay regardless of wether part time full time . Just wondered if any of u geeks know the rules on this . Im 25 by the way just in case age affects it . hope u can help , thanks in advance

ps just wanted to add i have phoned the citizen advice but they r not answering me !

I know that legally employees are entitled to four paid weeks holiday a year (don't know if it depends on hours worked though). I used to work a six hour job and as such never needed to take hols, I asked if I could work it and get paid extra instead, but my manager never let me.
I've never heard of this nine hour thing though! Sorry!

Hi, I've just googled this (employment law) and went on the direct gov site which had links on how to calculate holiday pay. It said all employees are entitled to holiday pay and calculated when working 8 hours per week you would be entitled to 41.3 hours holiday pay per anum. Hope this helps

Last edited:
oh thanks guys thats a great help ! i thought it seemed a bit odd when they said that i wouldnt be entitled to it ! thanks for the link to rachael !

nice and easy you are entitled to pro rata 24 days a year rising to 28 days a year from 1/4/09
Simply multiply your hours by 4.8 for this year and 5.6 for next year.This year will be a part year you you get one twelfth for each full month of service

Latest posts

Back