Needing help x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

This is my 1st post.

I am currently in the process of buying a 2 roomed salon yay! Anyway I'm just wanting some tips/opinons/ideas about everything really!! I know alot to ask I'm just scared I'm going to miss things!

So really product advise and also what treatments to do also employing people - pay wages or rent space??
thanks in advance for all your help xxx

good luck

i opened my own business about 2 1/2 yrs ago. i have never lokoed back. it is extremely hard work. i even havea part time job that i do alongside running the salon as i have found it important to have a regular income.

building a client base takes ages and mine is still growing.

i would do research around your town to see what people charge and times they do treatments in.

i know that alan howard trade supply offers a VAT free day on the 1st monday of the month and this is run every other month- great to save money ewhen buying stock.
i ahve a new treatment room to rent. at first it may be benefical to rent the space out beofre employing staff- dont forgert when you employ someone you have to pay their wages every week- even if you not earned loads. you need to pay them holiday pay too. my advise would be to get established first before employing staff.

i went to a place called textiles direct for my towels as i found it cheaper than most trade places. i also buy towels from marks and sparks when they have 20% of towel bundels- excellent quality. for towel wraps i went to ethel austins as they were very cheap. it pays to shop around as trade suppliers arent always the cheapest

i make my own leaflets as i print them off as and when they are needed- you can always add and change things like prices etc without the expense of having 100's printed.
vista print is excellent for business cards and their free postcards make excellent gift vouchers if you have the paitence to sit and fiddle around with the fonts etc!

i bought a laminator and always put printed posters up on the window laminated- this is because i feel that printed posters look more professional than hand written ones and when i havent laminated them, the condensation of the window wrecks them!

am i going on a bit?

anyway if you would like more info etc of bits ive picked up along the way then please PM me.

em x

Oh goodness how do u PM?!!!

im pretty new to thi too! i think that if you click on the name of the peron who has repsned a box will drop down- click on the send personal mail bit ( i think) and it will et you send a message and then i think you can mail between your selves without it being posted etc? to recve your PM go to User CP and go to bit about persoanl amil on the left hand column?? think this ir right- their may be an easier way?

em x

im pretty new to thi too! i think that if you click on the name of the peron who has repsned a box will drop down- click on the send personal mail bit ( i think) and it will et you send a message and then i think you can mail between your selves without it being posted etc? to recve your PM go to User CP and go to bit about persoanl amil on the left hand column?? think this ir right- their may be an easier way?

em x

That's how I do it too em. Some very good advice you've given there too about the salon. I might nick some of your suggestions!

Check out Sassy's piece on how to promote your business it really is great.

good luck with your salon

the geeks on here are fab, you will get loads of valuable info

all the best

hi there - i've been in the same position recently and it is hard... i dont know anyone else with their own salon to chat too etc.
i rent the rooms out to 2 staff - mainly because your new to it all and its one less thing to worry about - also if money is tight at least you no you've got a guaranteed income every week/month etc. also they have to pay that rent whether they on holiday etc...
also for starting up - have lots of special offers - although you need to make a profit once you can get them in the door once and impress them it makes it worth it! i choose one treatment each month to have on special.
let me know how you get on and if you have any tips to share too!!
best of luck x

Latest posts

Back