Nervous wreck

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_eve

Senior Stylist
Reaction score
RANT ALERT
I'm feeling really insecure and low in confidence. How does everyone else cope with the day to day stresses of hairdressing. Its getting so bad I'm not really enjoying my craft anymore.

I'm in a high end salon and the prices reflect that. This is pressure considering I've only been hairdressing for 3 years.

We use a brand of colour in the salon called Kemon and it is just awful. After working with Wella and loving it and it being so reliable and the training you get up at the academy is brilliant, I'm now working with this awful organic brand where the training is only in Italy. We had some of the reps come down for a morning a few months ago and the technique training from the reps was great but the colours were not.
For example I did a root stretch the other day and used 6.1 (ash), 8.78 (violet blue) to get the coolest level 7 I could. It came out brassy AF and the lady complained. And that is how its going, the toners dont work and if they do they're left on for 20mins (not good when you're trying to keep to a time frame) I did a root regrowth today with their "beige" tone level 9 and it came out like a 8/7 in wella and the lady has a stressful time as she watches it get darker and darker and redder and redder in the mirror whilst developing. Its so unreliable and I'm stressed out like crazy. Thankfully the salon manager knows the colours are unreliable but the owners wont change as we are an organic salon.
Clients that dont know what they want and then show you unrealistic pictures of what they think they might want and after you explain that its not quite achievable with their hair and you recommend something that suits them and they agree only for them to call up or worse facebook post that they're unhappy with their hair and its too mumsy.

I am at my wits end but I love hairdressing so much and I am so much more confident when I'm working from home with Wella. I dont want to give this up but I cant deal with anymore complaints, I've had 5 in 5 months and its totally unacceptable.
What do I do???

Are you quite salon experienced? Enough to go freelance and work from home? Big enough client base that will follow? After 16 years in salons... I too got totally fed up with the stress and day to day life of salon pressure ! I felt I was getting no where also! No progression! So felt experienced enough to leave, I have now been 4 years working from home, set up a Facebook business page with before and after, using the colour brand I love and comfortable with... I keep refreshed and up to date also! Best move I ever made! Facebook page has gone viral and I'm busier than ever! Near enough fully booked all year round, working at my own pace, also with flexibility! Also recommendations come straight to me!! Rather than the fighting over them in a salon with lots of staff!!! .... I found my happiness and hope you find yours too! I'm reading a book at the moment written by a hair stylist on how to prevent stress and burnout as a hairdresser! Look it up, it's quite good to relate to xx

Are you quite salon experienced? Enough to go freelance and work from home? Big enough client base that will follow? After 16 years in salons... I too got totally fed up with the stress and day to day life of salon pressure ! I felt I was getting no where also! No progression! So felt experienced enough to leave, I have now been 4 years working from home, set up a Facebook business page with before and after, using the colour brand I love and comfortable with... I keep refreshed and up to date also! Best move I ever made! Facebook page has gone viral and I'm busier than ever! Near enough fully booked all year round, working at my own pace, also with flexibility! Also recommendations come straight to me!! Rather than the fighting over them in a salon with lots of staff!!! .... I found my happiness and hope you find yours too! I'm reading a book at the moment written by a hair stylist on how to prevent stress and burnout as a hairdresser! Look it up, it's quite good to relate to xx
Such good advice - really helpful

Thank you. I have been both mobile and on the salon floor for 3 years. I was self employed for 2 of those in a salon and mobile, but I found that I wasn't improving during this time as I was in the salon on my own most of the time, so I decided to move to a busier salon and I have definitely improved loads over the past 5 months its just after a couple of complaints in a short period of time I feel like I'm going backwards.
Going mobile and working for myself is definitely something I am aiming for but not until I'm confident in my abilities and can handle any situation.
What is the name of your book? It sounds like I need to read it. Its a relief to know that I'm not just being a big wuss cry baby.
Thanks again x

It's quite a short book but interesting! It's called self care for hairdressers by Rebecca Beardsley.... can it not be an option for you to use your own colours? Surely if better results are achieved!! Xx

It's quite a short book but interesting! It's called self care for hairdressers by Rebecca Beardsley.... can it not be an option for you to use your own colours? Surely if better results are achieved!! Xx
Thank you :)

No, I'm employed now and its and organic salon so I'm using the kemon in the salon and Wella at home.
Thank you so much for ypur help and advice. I've found the book and will give it a read xx

Latest posts

Back