Netting - how to.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjodylee

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm having some trouble using netting and am hoping to get some help and tips.. I just can't seem to get it right!

I am using the base colour, then capping with clear, waiting about 30 sec then dipping the netting in the clear powder then placing on the nail into the wettish clear acrylic.
Then I do the other nails, come back and fill the netted spaces with wet acrylic of a different colour. Finish all fingers then file.

My issue is the netting isn't always coming through and in some places I seem to file it all off. If I don't keep filing in these spots then the top colour I've used to fill in the netted areas is just a block colour and I have to keep filing to get down to the netted like area but it's obv not there as when I file I just file it off (I hope that makes sense!).

Please please can anyone give me tips on how to use this properly and effectively??
I did a one day course and netting was a part of it but I can't seem to get the hang of it!
I have a client who wants this and I need to get it right so I can do the best I can for her.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks guys x

Last edited:
Have you watched Greg salo on the young nails tutorial for snakeskin effect nails, he uses the netting technique in that, it might help you, you can find it on you tube :)

Thanks Claire. I will have a look on YouTube and see if I can find his clip. I love Gregs videos. He is so good and the camera angles are 99% of the time awesome.

Does anyone with hands on knowledge of this nail art have any tips on using it please?

I.just apply a thin layer of acrylic then press in net then apply more over the top then when u file at the end it dosent file off because it is fully encapsulated

Ah not sure you get what you mean.. I put the clear on, then I put wet acrylic of another colour and it covers all of the area as well as soaking into the netted bits so I have to file at this stage as I need to file off the top colour to reveal the netting look. If I covered with another clear to cap it would be a block colour then, if you get what I mean.
Maybe I'm putting the clear on to thick before I do netting??

Thin out ur layers so u can fully encapsulate with clear ay the end. Then the nail won't get to bulky

I put a thin layer of clear then I choose two colours for the tip. Wet ur brush then dip in first colour then in the other so u have a two tone bead. Apply as normal then place the net in whilst its still moist. Then cap in clear. Then I get a marbled effect with net. File then apply a protective gel top coat

Gemma Lambert does an excellent tutorial on Facebook plus other designs to, look it up x

I put a thin layer of clear then I choose two colours for the tip. Wet ur brush then dip in first colour then in the other so u have a two tone bead. Apply as normal then place the net in whilst its still moist. Then cap in clear. Then I get a marbled effect with net. File then apply a protective gel top coat

Do you leave the netting in it?

I think you are talking about a different effect one is branding, where you put the net into wet acrylic then remove and leave the imprint to fill with another colour then file off excess to reveal the pattern, the other is encasing, where you leave the net/lace in the nail under a layer of clear so you can see it in the nail... Hth xx

I think you are talking about a different effect one is branding, where you put the net into wet acrylic then remove and leave the imprint to fill with another colour then file off excess to reveal the pattern, the other is encasing, where you leave the net/lace in the nail under a layer of clear so you can see it in the nail... Hth xx

Ahh sorry yes I'm talking about branding. And I'm struggling!! Am I doing the clear to thick? Is there a trick to it? I have the YN other branding tools and I struggle to make them look right too. Argh!!

Last edited:
Anyone else who does branding with ease care to help out a newbie brander?! ;)

Sorry to jump on your thread but do you need a type of netting and where can I get buy it from ?

The netting I use is from YN. It's the only one I know of or have seen but am sure many more companies sell it.

When doing the netting imprint you need to make sure the clear acrylic you are putting the net into is not too wet, I think Greg says about 45 seconds but that would depend on the speed at which it cures so if using the speed clear 45 seconds is fine, other brands you may need to leave a little longer, press the net firmly into the nail leaving a decent imprint and remove, when you add your colour make sure you press it in well so that it is all covered and the gaps are filled, once it has set you only need to file until you see your pattern then cap in a top coat and your done, if your nail is too thick when you have added your clear and you need to thin the nail down you will usually loose your pattern with the excess filing so you really need to make sure that your nails are near perfect at this stage. There are a few pics in my album that shows branding and one of the netting, it's not always perfect but the effect is great.. Hth xx

Thank you Claire, you've been a great help.
I think that I am definately filing to much off. I must need to get the nail near perfect in thickness before the putting the clear on.. And not put the clear on to thick.

I had a look in your folders and must say what beautiful nails you have done xx
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Thank you Claire, you've been a great help.
I think that I am definately filing to much off. I must need to get the nail near perfect in thickness before the putting the clear on.. And not put the clear on to thick.

I had a look in your folders and must say what beautiful nails you have done xx
Thanks for your help.

Awww thanks Hun, make sure you post some pics once you have mastered it xx

Awww thanks Hun, make sure you post some pics once you have mastered it xx

Will do.
I'm not sure how to start a folder in my account to put pics in.. As I'm only accessing this site through my iPhone.. Will have to look into that one.

I'm busy practicing on my nail trainer (love that thing!), trying to get it right as client coming next tues that loves colours and netting and anything other than P & W.

Latest posts

Back