New at Balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilehair

Reaction score
I'm new to doing balayage, not a new stylist and quite confident with foil highlighting etc.
I have a couple of questions, I have bought L'Oreal Blond Studio (both types not too sure of the difference!!) and been practicing on a dummy head, I have used up to 30 vol with some lift but not loads, I suspect the heads are difficult to bleach because of the process the hair has gone through.

What strength peroxide do other people use for balayage? I feel happy with my method of application, I mix to a good yogurt/tom sauce consistency and paint enough that it coats the hair well, do people use anything to cover the hair with?? Foil? Some type of wrap?? Also how deep should I be taking the sections, at the moment I take about 1/2 inch deep and paint just on the top of this section then saturate the ends. I read lots of different things and it feels like a mine field trying to work out what to use so any help/advice would be really gratefully received!

Hi there,

It is a mine field but do your best...

I find bleaching in foils I only need 20vol as the foils trap in heat and the bleach lifts lots of levels.
But for open bleaching like balayage you could use 30 vol... But take into account if the client already has bleach in her hair also.
You can you cling film and foils to trap in heat for this method and you only have to use 20 vol also.
Dummy heads are not great for practising on good for technique but not for product use as they are chemically treated before you get them.

Hi there,

It is a mine field but do your best...

I find bleaching in foils I only need 20vol as the foils trap in heat and the bleach lifts lots of levels.
But for open bleaching like balayage you could use 30 vol... But take into account if the client already has bleach in her hair also.
You can you cling film and foils to trap in heat for this method and you only have to use 20 vol also.
Dummy heads are not great for practising on good for technique but not for product use as they are chemically treated before you get them.
Thank you!

I always go up a developer when doing open air balayage! Or wrap in foil or cling film type material to conduct heat :)

I always go up a developer when doing open air balayage! Or wrap in foil or cling film type material to conduct heat :)
Thanks, useful to know!

Latest posts

Back