New business advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren1372

Reaction score
Okay business owners, about 6 months ago my boyfriend and I purchased a hair salon from a woman who had been in business for 25 years. I haven’t been a stylist very long but the opportunity was too good to pass. Are there any mistakes of yours I could learn from? Or any other advice you may have to someone new in the salon owning world?

Keep your costs down.
Promote yourself properly - [email protected] can help you with this.
Keep up with modern trends and products.
Stock only salon exclusive brands otherwise you'll lose retail sales to the online sellers.
Make sure you keep enough money aside for unexpected expenditures.
Don't take any nonsense from your staff.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks Lynne!

I've worked in the beauty industry for 14 years (I was the editor of one of the trade magazines) and I know run my own PR company promoting beauty businesses. If you want any details drop me a line at [email protected].

delete

Last edited:
Do not have too many unnecessary staff l
Keep checking every week how much each staff bringing in
Do not became VAT registered.
Do not rent any premises Rent + VAT

I have been running my business for over 8 years
I am very busy Stylist/salon owner
I have no kids I don’t drink I don’t smoke but gained nothing
my hard work goes out to the out goings
Over £20.000 for VAT
Rent for £22.000 +VAT
Wages, Water, Electrick. Business Rate,
Having more unnecessary stylists and apprenticesThinking if one of them decide to leave the salon.

Just please don’t do what I did.

Good luck

Great customer service can set you apart from the competition. Think of all the lovely value add-ons you can have that don't cost a lot but help create a feeling of being cared for.
Plan out your customer journey from the first time they see your marketing right through the salon experience and beyond.
Get very good at marketing! Learn Facebook and don't give up. Persevere and you'll learn what attracts your ideal customers

Here are a few ideas from a marketing perspective...
  • Create an Instagram account for your business and upload photos of your/your stylists work. You can showcase your work while building your brand.
  • Take advantage of the selfie trend by creating a selfie station in your salon and gaining exposure for your salon through your clients. If you have a decal sticker with your business name or hashtag on the mirror - your clients upload their pictures to their own profiles while also promoting your salon (a great way to get social proof).
  • Offer gift certificates in your salon. These could prove popular at this time of year with Christmas fast approaching.
Just a few thoughts - best of luck with your new venture Lauren!

Latest posts

Back