New client removing 'unknown gel' help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireP

Reaction score
As the title says I have a new client next week that has what she thinks is hard gel with gel polish over her own natural nails. The nail tech who applied it is on maternity leave and she has no way of finding out what system her nail tech used. I don't do hard gel so my knowledge from my CND L&P training mentioned that you have to debulk by filing with a 100 grit, then 180, then 240 then buff it off and leave a thin layer to grow out naturally, is this correct? I am then going to apply IBX and CND Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel with CND Shellac, I presume I use a base coat for the BL Smoothing Gel as normal. Thanks in advance x

Yes that's the correct procedure for removing hard gel. However, because you will be leaving a very thin layer of the gel on the nail you won't be able to apply IBX as it won't be able to penetrate through the gel. Also there would probably be no point applying the Smoothing Gel either because again there will already be gel on the nail. You will be able to go straight onto Shellac application and the remainder of the hard gel will provide the extra strength the client needs from the Smoothing.

Hope I explained that properly lol

Yes that's the correct procedure for removing hard gel. However, because you will be leaving a very thin layer of the gel on the nail you won't be able to apply IBX as it won't be able to penetrate through the gel. Also there would probably be no point applying the Smoothing Gel either because again there will already be gel on the nail. You will be able to go straight onto Shellac application and the remainder of the hard gel will provide the extra strength the client needs from the Smoothing.

Hope I explained that properly lol

Thank you, I wasn't sure if I was worth applying IBX as she told me she has quite a bit of regrowth so I thought it would penetrate the natural nail where the gel had grown out? Or should I leave it until her next appointment? X

I guess if there's quite a large area where there is no longer hard gel then you could apply IBX and Smoothing to that area but certainly no point over the remaining hard gel.

I guess if there's quite a large area where there is no longer hard gel then you could apply IBX and Smoothing to that area but certainly no point over the remaining hard gel.

Thanks, I'll assess when I see her next Monday ;) xxx

Have you asked where she had the previous nails done? I try to keep up to date on what products all the local techs use so I know what products I'm dealing with & how to proceed with removal x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back