New client wanting me to apply shop bought colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhead87

Reaction score
Hi
I've had a new enquiry from a lady who currently has a mobile hairdresser do her hair. The hairdresser applies her shop brought colour for her, olia.
I have refused to do this as I don't agree with over counter hair colours, as I'm a professional so use professional products.
Wanted your opinions on this... Whether you would do it, if it effects insurance etc.
I won't be doing her hair unless professional colour is used, I use Goldwell.
Although, I used to work in a salon that charged £10 if clients brought in their own colours.... Didn't agree with it then either.

No bitching please guys & girls :) x

Lol. I'd definitely wouldn't do it.

If asked, you could say your insurance doesn't cover you for products not purchased by yourself through the business.

Definately wouldn't do it !
I very much doubt you would be covered by your insurance and in any case you have no idea how this colour would come out and they could hold you responsible !
We have been asked a couple of times and I always say " my insurance won't cover that sorry "

Not being funny here but I know someone who uses Olia and I wouldn't even know where to start in convincing them to let me colour her hair, it's so shiny and coverage is brilliant, looks so nice haha

Not quite sure if this a wind-up or not.......
NO professional I know would even ask the question, let alone, allow a client to 'bring their own'.
It's like going into a restaurant with a bag of 'basic range' from Tesco....and expecting to be greated by a smiling Gordon Ramsey.......:evil:

I refused point blank to do it. I did say my insurance won't cover me using over the counter colours.
Annoys me that her current hairdresser does it no problem!!
Grrrrr

Not quite sure if this a wind-up or not.......
NO professional I know would even ask the question, let alone, allow a client to 'bring their own'.
It's like going into a restaurant with a bag of 'basic range' from Tesco....and expecting to be greated by a smiling Gordon Ramsey.......:evil:

Brilliant comparison!! I wouldnt think twice about saying no!!insurance wont cover you if she was to take a reaction, anything to go wrong.

This is an opportunity for you to explain the benefits of having a professional colour in comparasion to a box dye!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Brilliant comparison!! I wouldnt think twice about saying no!!insurance wont cover you if she was to take a reaction, anything to go wrong.

This is an opportunity for you to explain the benefits of having a professional colour in comparasion to a box dye!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Did all the above and she is having Goldwell as that's what I use. Like I say I refused straight away as there is no way I would use that crap on anyone. Lol.

Not being funny here but I know someone who uses Olia and I wouldn't even know where to start in convincing them to let me colour her hair, it's so shiny and coverage is brilliant, looks so nice haha

I get what your saying here, but guy's, we CANNOT give away our profession.
Obviously, when you have L'oreal, Wella, etc bring out a 'consummer equivalent', the ingrediant's will have been thoughly tested, with allowance for error, as these products are being aimed at the 'untrained'.
For most, no harm will come, and some will even have a very good result!
However, it continues to incense me, that as hairdressers we train,take on (at great expence),and promote the lastest 'in' thing our colour house has launched, only to have them, within a very short time 'give it' to the consummer.

I get what your saying here, but guy's, we CANNOT give away our profession.
Obviously, when you have L'oreal, Wella, etc bring out a 'consummer equivalent', the ingrediant's will have been thoughly tested, with allowance for error, as these products are being aimed at the 'untrained'.
However, it continues to incense me, that as hairdressers we train,take on (at great expence),and promote the lastest 'in' thing our colour house has launched, only to have them, within a very short time 'give it' to the consummer.

I agree, although Goldwell don't seem to do as Loreal & others do. It's for professionals only. The only bits you can get is the shampoo and products from feel unique online. But that's it.

That's why I like goldwell, you can't compete with a client buying a dark brown from boots.

To the OP just simply explain you aren't trained in these products.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

However,.. .

Ohhh I beg to differ on the non error fool proof OTC box colours. Since these companies started bringing out a vast amount of "tones" I have a fair few a month coming in with gorgeous shades of Blondes in Khaki, Green and dirty Grey hair disasters that need rectifying lol because they don't understand the colour wheel.

Maybe it's a hidden agenda to give us hairdressers more work :D

As for applying someone's box colour...no! Not ever

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

No way I wouldn't do it x

You HAVE to be kidding me!

I had a young client ask me to use her box dye, I just said I only used professional colours, which she is now having today!

You HAVE to be kidding me!

why? I've explained the benefits of professional colour and the advantages of not using box dyes but it's hard when the results she gets are already so good. her hairs in gorgeous condition, shiny and it covers her grey 100% and it's exactly the colour she wants. she only does regrowths herself so what's left to convince to use professional ones done by a professional?

Latest posts

Back