New clients gel or acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tove

Reaction score
Just wondering if a new client comes in for extensions and you do both gel and acrylics what do you choose for the client?

I just opened my own little salon and got new clients comming,clients that never have had nail extensions before.They just want long nails,and havent got a clue how you do them..Most of the time they say you choose(between gel & acrylics)..

At present, I only do UV Gel & gel-resins (aka dips).
99% of the time, I do UV Gel unless it's only for a special occasion and they intend to remove them right after.
I will soon be doing my L&P course (hopefully soon) but am only doing it to A) get more knowledge.. B)to do more 3d art C)to offer it to clients for whom gel won't stick no matter what.
I chose UV Gels for the odourless factor as I work from home and dont want any vapours about.

My opinion would be to choose what is most appropriate for their needs (will they continue maintenance? or is it a one shot deal) and then use what you work best with. THEN if they show to be a poor candidate for that product, switch only then (after ruling out that it's not the product of course, newbies are often hard on their hands etc). Sometimes, it's like with soap or similar product. What works for one doesn't work for all?

I don't think that one system (gel vs l&p) is better than they other. They each have their own pros and cons....

Many techs only offer one kind of enhancement and are quite successful despite not being able to offer their clients a choice.

hth's

Gel and L&P are both acrylic. I don't see the difference myself. Do whatever you like at the time. Some gels come in all colours so you can mix and make custom blends like the L&P. Others don't. So if your gel doesn't and they need to have a coverage gel or l&p (small nail beds and nail biters) then use your l&p. NNO's are great with gel. Also gel keeps it shine the whole time whereas l&p sometimes needs a bit of buffing to high shine after a while.

Gel and L&P are both acrylic. I don't see the difference myself. Do whatever you like at the time. Some gels come in all colours so you can mix and make custom blends like the L&P. Others don't. So if your gel doesn't and they need to have a coverage gel or l&p (small nail beds and nail biters) then use your l&p. NNO's are great with gel. Also gel keeps it shine the whole time whereas l&p sometimes needs a bit of buffing to high shine after a while.

You can do a finishing layer of UV gel over L&P and cure so that you get the long term shine added to the benefits of L&P

You can do a finishing layer of UV gel over L&P and cure so that you get the long term shine added to the benefits of L&P

That's true... was just giving the reasons for using one system over another if you know what I mean... but yes, that is another thing you can do. good point xx

I normally choose acrylic for them unless they wanted something different like gel or fibreglass. As I like doing acrylic

I do which ever is going to be the easiest for me if the client has not got a preference. Usually a sculpted set of Liquid & powder in some form of pink and white (I do lots of different whites).

All my products work, all of them are strong and all of them are acrylic based so in the end it is the look they prefer or a suitable choice to rebalance over what they are already wearing or are used to, which makes the choice for me.

Latest posts

Back