New Mobile/Home Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobile Nails

Reaction score
Hi

I started my own mobile/home business in May as a newly qualified nail technician after working in an office for 15 years. I have gained some vital experience in a short space of time and now feel more confident (not so many butterflys with new clients!!).

I work from my conservatory and try to create a relaxed atmosphere with candles, water feature and light music.

My prices are reasonable with a 10% reduction for clients treatments carried out in my own home as I thought when I first started that I should charge trainee prices.

I am about to re-do my price list and add other treatments, but I'm not sure how much to charge for home and mobile services. I know different areas vary (I live in Kent). Any ideas as I am relatively new to all this?

Any other advice would be great.

Heather
Mobile Nails

Try not to fall into the preconception that because you are mobile you have to charge less than the salon would charge. If anything, you need to be charging more because of your travel expenses. The client should be willing to pay that bit extra for the convenience of having you come to them. You are offering the same professional service that the salon offers.

Just a pointer - are you using gel? The only time I have ever done my nails in my conservatory my pot of gel set solid! I was really suprised as it was quite a dull day and - I thought - not bright enough to make the gel set!

That is a good point most products need to be kept out of direct sunlight.
Hope you have blinds!!!! ;)

I would charge a call out fee, you can make a lot more if they come to you as your not wasting time travelling. If you do 4 x 20 mins trips a day thats 1hr 20 mins, you could do infill or a full set in that time. ( dont know how fast you are :o )

If are happy with you service think how much you would be willing to pay.

maceyratbags said:
Try not to fall into the preconception that because you are mobile you have to charge less than the salon would charge. If anything, you need to be charging more because of your travel expenses. The client should be willing to pay that bit extra for the convenience of having you come to them. You are offering the same professional service that the salon offers.

Just a pointer - are you using gel? The only time I have ever done my nails in my conservatory my pot of gel set solid! I was really suprised as it was quite a dull day and - I thought - not bright enough to make the gel set!

Hi Ange

Thanks for your reply. I use acrylic and only take products into the conservatory when I'm working. I have a problem at the moment with the monomer being too cold which is causing it to crystalise. I use star nails and find as im buffing little bubbles keep appearing and I have to file them out. Thanks for pointing that out to me cos I probably will go into doing gel eventually.

Kind regards

Heather

Tracy Mclean said:
That is a good point most products need to be kept out of direct sunlight.
Hope you have blinds!!!! ;)

I would charge a call out fee, you can make a lot more if they come to you as your not wasting time travelling. If you do 4 x 20 mins trips a day thats 1hr 20 mins, you could do infill or a full set in that time. ( dont know how fast you are :o )

If are happy with you service think how much you would be willing to pay.

Hi Tracy

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Its really hard when you're starting out and unfortunately I've made mistakes, but Im learning !!

I take my products into the conservatory only when I need them. I take about 1 hr 30 mins to do a infill, but by the time I've painted them or done some nail art I like to allow about 2 hrs per client.

Im not overly busy at the moment and need some more clients. Any tips?

Many thanks

Heather

Hi Heather...
I also work from home and offer a mobile service.
Because it takes me about 2 to 2 and a half hours to do a full new set i have been giving 25% off my top line charge. I felt this was the way forward for me because then i could get more people to work on and thus helping me to gain speed.
As my speed and skill pick up...so will my prices.
I agree with the call-out charge for going mobile though as it takes a lot of time and effort to take everything to someones home and therefore i don't give a reduction on my charges.
Hope this makes sence? !!!

Denise. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back