New nail tech lacking confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireDix86

polishedpinkys
Reaction score
Morning all..
I recently qualified a complete nail technician course and although I've had a few clients I just feel like I need a bit of reassurance.. I use IBD just gel polish.
I've done a few friends nails mobile and this has knocked my confidence abit as the set I had booked in for last night didn't even have a table to sit at!
Has anyone got any advice or tips they could give me as a newly qualified nail tech? Prep time etc etc

I'd be so appreciative and to be honest.. My husband isn't much help!! Lol

Thanks in advance xx

Morning all..
I recently qualified a complete nail technician course and although I've had a few clients I just feel like I need a bit of reassurance.. I use IBD just gel polish.
I've done a few friends nails mobile and this has knocked my confidence abit as the set I had booked in for last night didn't even have a table to sit at!
Has anyone got any advice or tips they could give me as a newly qualified nail tech? Prep time etc etc

Thanks in advance xx

Morning all..

Thanks in advance xx
Aww I feel for you, trust me sometimes I swear when these things happen someone up there is telling me to jack the whole nails thing in and give up. I do my family's nails at home and every time it sends me into a downer and vow to give it up. Try doing a set of acrylics and gel polish while yr 5 mnth old baby cries, yr mums dog has made off with half of your kit and you've had to prep her nails for the mill nth time cos she's dipping them in cream buns and chatting on the phone , arrrrgh. Get yourself a nail trainer ie the hand that attaches to your table and practise on this initially to build confidence. Don't look to your husband, they don't get it, trust me, good luck xxx

Aww I feel for you, trust me sometimes I swear when these things happen someone up there is telling me to jack the whole nails thing in and give up. I do my family's nails at home and every time it sends me into a downer and vow to give it up. Try doing a set of acrylics and gel polish while yr 5 mnth old baby cries, yr mums dog has made off with half of your kit and you've had to prep her nails for the mill nth time cos she's dipping them in cream buns and chatting on the phone , arrrrgh. Get yourself a nail trainer ie the hand that attaches to your table and practise on this initially to build confidence. Don't look to your husband, they don't get it, trust me, good luck xxx

This made me laugh! And I know it was written (hopefully) slightly tongue in cheek but it's worth telling people (esp ones with dogs and babies/kids) jumping all over them that our products are TOXIC in particular the primer and acrylic liquid, and they seriously need to keep little fingers and furry mouths away from the products both in their bottled state and when on their nails. It scares me how little respect people give things like that (clients, not you :) ) and when you're in their home they take it all very lightly.

To the OP, I was mobile for 2 years before I worked from home and I lost count of the number of times I got put at a round table (backache due to twisting), a high table and low chair(!), as you say, no table so just a tray or something or just a dark corner. So my biggest tip would be to get yourself kitted out with a portable nail table (not too wide - backache from leaning) a portable gas lift stool and a proper Daylight lamp, so you know you can cope with anything they throw at you xx

I'm still training, but feel your pain even just from practising on friends and family :)

old post but I'm so there right now but trying to train with 2 boys off school for Easter and a 6 month old baby I feel doomed lol x

Latest posts

Back