New nail tech with some questions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLass

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am a new acrylic nail tech...finished course a few weeks ago and have been getting plenty of practice in! But I have a few questions I wonder if you could help with?

Firstly, some of my overlay is appearing cloudy...BUT only on the tips of white tips!! It doesn't appear on the nail plate or on natural acrylic nails...this seems a little strange to me and wonder if anyone can shed any light?
Also, can someone recommend some nice french tips with a nice deep smile line? I currently have millenium and I'm finding the smile line rather flat and too straight across....as I'm still practising, I would prefer something that wouldn't break the bank!! Was considering The Edge french?
Does anyone know where I can get a flat acrylic brush from? So far I can only find round/oval...I currently use no.8 round but a friend suggested I try a flat one for comparison! I think you only find what is best for you by trying them out!
Also, I'm having some problems with zone 3...I just can't seem to keep it thin enough and it always ends up rather fat, even with filing. Does anyone have any tips!! I'm using a smaller bead each time to find what works best, but I'm still ending up with a fat zone 3!!
Last one I promise!! the edges around the side walls are very hit and miss at the moment and I can't seem to get them straight....I am sweeping the brush round (on its side), but I still end up with wavy edges that are difficult to file out...

Thanks in advance and sorry there are so many questions!!

Hiya, I um unsure as to what products you are using or qualified in so it will make it a little hard to answer some of your questions. Could you please file out your profile so that we have some more info on what you use and what education you have had?
In the meantime check out this link Nail Tutorials - Salon Geek have a look through all of these as there is info in there covering everything from how to hold your brush to how to finish with you files. HTH

Hi everyone!
I am a new acrylic nail tech...finished course a few weeks ago and have been getting plenty of practice in! But I have a few questions I wonder if you could help with?

Firstly, some of my overlay is appearing cloudy...BUT only on the tips of white tips!! what colour L&P are you using ? if its pink it looks funny when used over white tips try clear ! It doesn't appear on the nail plate or on natural acrylic nails...this seems a little strange to me and wonder if anyone can shed any light?
Also, can someone recommend some nice french tips with a nice deep smile line? have a look at star nails they do different smile lines and pro impressions are fab :) I currently have millenium and I'm finding the smile line rather flat and too straight across....as I'm still practising, I would prefer something that wouldn't break the bank!! Was considering The Edge french?
Does anyone know where I can get a flat acrylic brush from? So far I can only find round/oval...I currently use no.8 round but a friend suggested I try a flat one for comparison! I think you only find what is best for you by trying them out!Sorry i only use an oval one !
Also, I'm having some problems with zone 3...I just can't seem to keep it thin enough and it always ends up rather fat, even with filing. Does anyone have any tips!! I'm using a smaller bead each time to find what works best, but I'm still ending up with a fat zone 3!!
Last one I promise!! the edges around the side walls are very hit and miss at the moment and I can't seem to get them straight....I am sweeping the brush round (on its side), but I still end up with wavy edges that are difficult to file out...Practice practice practice :hug:

Thanks in advance and sorry there are so many questions!!
Hope this helps honey :hug:

Thanks liza..yes i am using pink acrylic so seems you have answered that one for me!!

Thanks for the recommendations on the french tips too...i'll go off and have a look for those two...

grafxgal...i've just spent an hour looking thru the tutorials and to be honest, I found them very helpful and certainly helped with the zone 3 issue, but couldn't find anything on my other 2 questions.
Thanks anyway.

will fill out my profile when I get time!!

When you have filled out the product and training details you will get much more help,
each system works differently with its own little quirk this is why we ask :hug:

When seaching for a new brush try looking for a flat cats tounge I found these much easier to use than the round ones. I currently use a size 10 flat cats tounge and remember you have to condition and shape your brush, and work with it for a while before it becomes your favorite brush.

Have a look on the nail zoo web site on how to condition and shape your new brush, carl has some great advice and vidios.

Latest posts

Back