New salon, outside toilet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly girl

Reaction score
Hiya, I'm looking at renting a new premises for my beauty salon. I've found one that ticks all the boxes (size, location etc) but the only problem is the toilet is outside in a little brick building at the top of the garden area. The landlord has said he is considering building a new brick building with toilet and hand wash facilities in around a years time. That will only be just outside the salon back door and will be more presentable.
Not every client that comes to my salon uses the toilet at present but I am a little worried that an outside toilet will put new clients off using the salon. Would you allow this to put you off renting?

The only issue I would have is if a client was having for example a massage and a facial and wanted to use the toilet in between. They would either have to get dressed to go to the toilet and then undressed again or go outside in a robe or something. Could be a bit annoying if its really cold/raining. Also is it accessible for disabled people or people with limited mobility?

I've yet to have anyone stop half way through but obviously it is a possibility. The toilet wouldn't be wheelchair accessible but my salon at the moment is based upstairs so isn't accessible meaning I wouldn't be alienating any current clients but obviously I would prefer if it was accessible for everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

The toilet in my last salon was in the basement and after about 6 months it really started to annoy me as qas told upstairs loo would be available, it never happened. Trust me it will get on your nerves and you will be embarrassed to send your clients there as few as they may be. Hth

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the replies both. It's such a pity that there are no toilet facilities inside :banghead: its in a perfect location and my contract on my current salon ends and is not up for renewal at the end of next month. No pressure eh! Grey hair starting as we speak :eek:

Presumably there is plumbing in the premises? Would the landlord allow you to install a toilet at your own cost?

Presumably there is plumbing in the premises? Would the landlord allow you to install a toilet at your own cost?

I did consider this option but there's not really enough room for an inside toilet

It really doesn't work without an available toilet. Your heart would be in your mouth every time you had a long booking. Keep searching. I have faith that something better is just around the corner.

Fingers crossed x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to work in a hairdressers with an outside loo, people didn't really mind and found it relatively funny. They also had to walk through the staff room to get there.

Not ideal but get some bath robes and proper slippers for clients that may need to leave the room during a treatment and make it as nice as possible in there and I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if everything else is perfect!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hate making big decisions! I'll keep considering my options for this premises and an alternative. I'm so glad of this website on times. It's right what they say, a problem shared is a problem halved ;)

I keep thinking about the spiders in an outdoor loo :Scared:

Wouldn't be to bad in summer months , but dreadful in the winter. Think about the dark nights & rain, certainly not ideal. Im sure it would put clients off, toilet facilities are a pretty basic necessity for any salon. Does the salon have running water i.e. hand washing facilities etc ? could you not turn that space into a small toilet , if not then maybe the premises are just not suitable for your needs. xx

I keep thinking of spiders too as I'm absolutely terrified of them lol. There is a sink being added to the back area which would double up as my storage area and possibly a spray tan area. If I put a toilet in this area I wouldn't have enough salon space.

I personally would entertain a toilet outside, and.would not go back to that salon if I needed to go outside. summer won't be too bad I guess, but winter? Nope, when it's freezing cold, blowing a hooly, chucking it down with rain, your clients will have to leave a warm salon, wrap up in a coat just to go for a wee.

Saying you haven't had someone want the loo during a treatment..... Yet! We get it frequently, client stops rushing about, sits, lays for her treatment and once relaxed boom! Realisation sets in they need to go. If they "hang on" the treatment won't be relaxing If they're constantly busting during their visit.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've got toilet issues too!!
Clients have to pop out of the salon walk two/three paces into a busy shop to use a corridor to the loo.
That's fine.
However. The loo is GROSS!
It's supposed to be a staff toilet. The store manager started painting it and making it look presentable.
However it's still minging.

How do I basically get in there. Give it a good clean and not offend the store manager. He has tried. But he's a man. Let's face it. Their standards aren quite as high as ours! X

I've got toilet issues too!!
Clients have to pop out of the salon walk two/three paces into a busy shop to use a corridor to the loo.
That's fine.
However. The loo is GROSS!
It's supposed to be a staff toilet. The store manager started painting it and making it look presentable.
However it's still minging.

How do I basically get in there. Give it a good clean and not offend the store manager. He has tried. But he's a man. Let's face it. Their standards aren quite as high as ours! X

Why not just pop in with cleaning products and say 'thought I'd lend a hand cleaning as I've got a spare 10 minutes!' And then just go straight in there.

If you turn it into a positive thing he should just think you're being friendly and helpful!

Latest posts

Back